Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:34:12 PM

Author Topic: How do you resume after a flame-out?  (Read 1380 times)

How do you resume after a flame-out?
« on: December 06, 2019, 02:34:42 AM »
I am running a plasma machine.  Midway through the burn the plasma stopped firing and continued on the G-Code path.  I stopped the machine and reset the Plasma machine.  I have identified roughly what line of code it encountered the error and would like to restart the program a few lines of code before.

I am new to Mach3 and can't seem to figure out what buttons to push to allow me to do that.  I have tried to enter the code line number and tell it to begin from there but it just scrolled down to line 9 and stops.

If i could be pointed in the right direction or told where in the manual this is discussed I would be greatful.

Kelly
Wright CNC 4'x8' Plasma
Hypertherm 45XP
Re: How do you resume after a flame-out?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2019, 03:25:57 AM »
Hi,
is called 'Run From Here' (RFH) and its problematic and given more grief and caused more crashes and gouged work
than any other feature of Mach3. The good news is that if you study it hard enough and practice with it....it will make sense
and is entirely useable.

I'm not sure that ALL of this applies to a plasma table but much will be in common with any mill program.

At any given point in time during a Gcode program your machine will be in a mode, it might be a G1 mode with a feed rate of F,
or it might be in incremental mode with a G51 scale factor and a G68 rotation in action. If you direct Mach to start at any
random Gcode line how is Mach to interpret the Gcode without knowledge of how it got there and what state or mode its in?

When you <Run From Here> Mach will traverse through the program without motion until it arrives at your nominated start
line and thereby have learned what state and mode it is supposed to be in. The next thing it does is a preparatory move
to the location immediately prior to your nominated start point. Mach will move in a direct linear interpolation to that point.
If that point is within the stock volume then its entirely probable you will gouge your work. You are advised to break the preparatory
move into two, first move to the XY location with the tool above the work (safe Z height), THEN move Z to its cutting position
below the work surface.

As I say this applies to a mill but I suspect that much of the thinking behind the procedure is identical to plasma.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2019, 12:51:13 AM »
Craig,

Thanks for the response.  My Mach3 is not responding in the way you described.  When I tell it to 'Run From Here', particularly line 2690. It will start at the top as you described but will only traverse down to code 9 or 12.  It is random at best.  I have closed all programs and cut the power to basically cold boot it back up.  I resorted to running the program from the beginning in an attempt to save the 4'x8' sheet of steel I have on the table presently.  It made it past the original failure point but began "flaming out" again.
I don't think my torch height control is working. I'm experiencing some warping and the plate is no longer flat.  My torch is supposed to sense these changes and move up and down but it is not.  Regardless, I can't get the software to move to the failure point and begin again.  This software is so intense and vast it is difficult for me to find even how I'm supposed to setup and run the program in the beginning.  I admit, I'm just pushing random buttons.

Kelly
Wright CNC 4'x8' Plasma
Hypertherm 45XP
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2019, 01:17:28 AM »
Hi,
as I said the RFH feature is about the most confusing and frustrating feature of Mach3. If I'm not mistaken Mach will not traverse
a Gcode program which contains sub-routines and maybe even macros. Its been over four years since I last used Mach3....I don't
now recall all the details.

I've never had much difficulty with Mach4. Unless there is a specific reason not to I would recommend you look closely at Mach4.
Several months ago NFS released a script based THC feature for Mach4.

As you know script (software) THC solutions have never worked with Mach3 by virtue of communication delays and buffering delays
inherent in Mach3. THC requires real-time hardware or near real-time motion controller like Machs parallel port.
Thus for Mach4 to have a script solution for THC is a major advantage over Mach3. It must be said the best THC is still done
by a real-time motion controller but the script option is very welcome.

Craig
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2019, 03:08:05 AM »