Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:20:28 AM

Author Topic: Problem setting up an xy table onto a Lathe  (Read 7761 times)

Re: Problem setting up an xy table onto a Lathe
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2007, 06:06:02 AM »
Here You go Graham your pictures,

By the way; how do you guys compensate for the alignement-imperfection of your own lathes?
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2007, 08:37:38 AM »
The lathe I'm doing is for the Boothbay Railway Village. I help in the shop there, and am on the board of the museum. Its a narrow gauge- 2 ft- place, but we are now taking in work from other museums. The standard gauge job we just did was for the Conway Scenic RR in NH. We are a code stamp boiler shop and are doing a boiler for WW&F Ry #9.

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,668 2,668
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2007, 09:46:17 AM »
Now I have seen the set up, the only real way is to clock the unit square to the axis.

Why!

I will tell you,  grooves will have tapered sides, threads will be at the wrong angle and parting off and drilling/reaming will be a tool smashing extravaganza.

You can program out tapers in faces and in diameters but coordinate rotation can not fix this. Lathes must move parallel and square to the spindle or you are in big trouble.

My solution would be :-

A little bit of accurate setting the first time and then fitting taper dowels. This will allow you to refit the unit at any time with the same accuracy.

Graham.
Without engineers the world stops

vmax549

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2007, 10:02:05 AM »
Just out of curiosity, why can't you align the table to the lathe head??? (;-) TP
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2007, 12:14:09 PM »

""""I will tell you,  grooves will have tapered sides, threads will be at the wrong angle and parting off and drilling/reaming will be a tool smashing extravaganza.

You can program out tapers in faces and in diameters but coordinate rotation can not fix this. Lathes must move parallel and square to the spindle or you are in big trouble.""""

Graham, we are taking a few hundredths of a Millimeter in Diameter over a length of 300 Millimeter here.......( sorry not so familiar with Inches)

And Yes, the accuracy of re-fitting the unit, is an other concern.

Still i wonder, how you compensate for the alignement-imperfection of your own lathe ?

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,668 2,668
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2007, 02:04:36 PM »
If that is all you are talking about, you don't have a problem.

Graham.
Without engineers the world stops

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
  • Wakefield, West Yorks, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2007, 11:18:08 AM »
I wish my lathe was that accurate !!!
Not me driving the engine - I'm better looking.