Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 09:58:49 AM

Author Topic: System recommendation for newbie  (Read 1987 times)

Re: System recommendation for newbie
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2019, 04:06:50 PM »
Hi,

So with my old Compaq dc7700 computer with parallel port , USB and Ethernet sockets, what operating system do you suggest I install - Win 7 32 bit ?

If you are going to Mach4 and a required USB or Ethernet connected motion controller as opposed to Darwin then install whatever you like, Mach4 and controller
doesn't care.

If you are going to get an external motion controller there are a number of options ranging from about $120 through to thousands, but my preference
is an Ethernet SmoothStepper for about $180. You can hook a G540 to that and maybe if you had a auxillary C10 breakout board ($23) it would give you plenty
of extra inputs and outputs.

I like the strong support here for Gecko G540. Do you connect each of the 3 stepper motors directly to it? And does it have a speed control for the spindle motor?

Yes, you connect three steppers direct to the G540, it has four stepper drivers built in. It has a PWM to analogue converter but you need a speed controller to convert
the 0-10V analogue to spindle motor current, the G540 does not do that.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2019, 04:57:17 PM »

as opposed to Darwin

Thanks Craig. Loved the Mach 3 reference

Offline mark4

•  167 167
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2019, 12:23:04 AM »
I have followed and i recomend the machbob 3 as a breakout board. its made to work with the Ethernet smooth stepper and provide 24v io and analog spindle. It really it a superior bob. You can find a link at warp nine the makers of the smooth stepper. Or www.cncroom.com