Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 07:02:09 PM

Author Topic: Limit Switch Settings  (Read 1524 times)

Offline dq828

•  61 61
    • View Profile
Limit Switch Settings
« on: October 16, 2019, 01:36:56 AM »
I just wanted to check that I have my Limit/Home switches configured correctly. The way I have installed the switches I have to have the setting in Mach 4 as shown in the attached images.

Is this correct or have I got the switches setup incorrectly?

Offline dq828

•  61 61
    • View Profile
Re: Limit Switch Settings
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2019, 05:57:33 AM »
Just to be clear, I wanted to know whether the switches should be setup so the settings in the Mach 4 inputs are Active Low with a X, rather than Active Low with a tick, as I have?

Offline Stuart

•  311 311
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2019, 07:23:08 AM »
They can be a tick or cross both is a correct setting .

What is Important is how your switches work are the  NO or NC , how are the wired , do you have them pulled high or pulled low , are the proximity switches or WHY

Hope that confuses you as much as your question

Tell us what you are using ,how it’s wired then a useful answere can be coditated

Offline dq828

•  61 61
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2019, 07:53:16 AM »
I'm using an individual switch at each position wired to an individaul input, 1 wire to the input one wire to the input ground, they are not wired in parrell or series.

I am using Omron SS-5GL2  (https://au.mouser.com/ProductDetail/653-SS-5GL2) switches and they are wired Normally Open.

Hope that helps

Offline thosj

•  532 532
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2019, 09:38:04 AM »
It might be better to wire your switches Normally Closed so that if a wire breaks or comes loose, it trips the limit switch input in Mach4, but I suppose that's note strictly necessary! It IS nice you have them wired to individual inputs, unlike in series like lots of folks do to save inputs!! Wired that way you can see which one trips or which one is disconnected or has a broken wire right on the diagnostics tab.

Should be able to go to diagnostics, if the led for a switch is lit when you go there, and assuming your not SITTING on the switch, you're configured backwards, reverse active high/low. If it lights the led when you trip the switch by hand, it's good.
--
Tom

Offline dq828

•  61 61
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2019, 05:40:33 PM »
Thank you for the reply.

Everyhing works as it should now but your comment about the broken wire was what I was worried about. I might rewire so, as you say, if the wire is broken the corresponding light will illunimate in the dianostics and it will reduce the chance of an accident.

Originally I had them wired NC and somehow managed to convince myself I had it the wrong way around so changed them!

Thanks again.