Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 05:37:35 AM

Author Topic: Mach4 Surface Mapping Questions  (Read 1264 times)

Mach4 Surface Mapping Questions
« on: October 09, 2019, 03:49:48 PM »
    Dear All,

I´ve recently built my CNC and I am having some issues on how to make the Surface mapping work. My table is made of MDF (I know now, not a good idea) and when I move the Dial Gauge Indicator to the center of the table I get 0.6mm difference with relation to the outer corners. The table is basically sagging in the middle.

Although I need to fix it, I am trying to use this as an opportunity to learn more about the features available. Hence the questions below. I am using Win10 Laptop with Mach4 Version 4.2, Build 4284.

I´ve attached a probe using the collet of my spindle. The probe is approximately 30mm long. As a test, I probed 100mm in the Y axis and 100mm in the X direction from the center of the table (the deepest point).

After all the points probed I get the results and, using the Plug in, I load the map onto Mach4. My first question:

• When I jog the Gantry from the corners to the center, I don´t see any correction being done on the Z axis to compensate the table. So, when I get to the center, I have 0.6mm difference from the corners as if nothing was done. Could anyone try to help me on that?

As far as I know, all measurements are made using Machine Coordinates and I don´t need to calibrate the Z probe nor enter anything on the G54 Fixture Table.

Now, the second question. Assuming I make it work in the Machine Coordinates, I will have a calibration in Machine Coordinates but how do I use it with Work Coordinates. What I am trying to say is, I will run the surface map using the probe, then I will install a mill (which will be longer than the probe) on its place and from there I will have to set my G54 coordinates. How will the mapping work?

I am sorry if these are stupid questions but I´ve watched the videos on the youtube channel and they did not add much more information.

My apologies if this was already answer somewhere else. I honestly tried to find it but had no luck.

Kid regards to everyone and sorry for my English as well.

Marcus