Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:39:20 AM

Author Topic: Feed Rate Overide on G100  (Read 6287 times)

Feed Rate Overide on G100
« on: August 26, 2007, 08:22:07 AM »
Hi all,
I have one last thing to do on my G100 installation. That is to be able to use a FRO potentiometer. I connect a pot between GND and a 5V pin on the G100. The pot slider goes to Analog input 1. The G100 monitor in Mach3 indicates the input varying between 0v and 4.98v. But I cant fathom how to get the value into Mach3.
What am I missing?

John

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
Re: Feed Rate Overide on G100
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 09:06:30 PM »
Hey John,
   I haven't got to play with this yet so maybe someone else will kick in. I should be back on the G100 the end of this week, on a BOB in the middle of a job now. I will try this out as soon as I can.

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 09:46:20 PM »
Hey John, Got some help off line, try this and let me know how it does.  On the spindle setup tab in ports&pins, enable modbus spindle speed, at register 64. That should be all thats required.

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2007, 09:52:42 PM »
Brett,
Thanks. I will try that as soon as I get home from work.

John
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 04:59:55 AM »
Hi Brett,
Tried that and it did not work. I must admit that I was confused as I am not using ModBus (yet) and am not trying to control a spindle.
The FRO is traditionally used to speed up or slow down the running speed of a Gcode program by manually turning a knob on a potentiometer.

Any other ideas please? There are 4 inputs under config>ports&pins>inputSignals, but I cant figure out how to configure them.

BTW, as a matter of interest, I am using analog input #1 but in the G100 monitor it shows up as item 2 varying. I did read earlier where someone said the port numbers dont match.

John

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2007, 06:38:47 AM »
Hey John,

I must admit that I was confused as I am not using ModBus (yet) and am not trying to control a spindle.
The FRO is traditionally used to speed up or slow down the running speed of a Gcode program by manually turning a knob on a potentiometer

I understand. Modbus is just how you do it with the G100 I assume. I hope to play with this soon and hopefully I can help you more then.

I have sent you a personal message.

Brett

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 09:05:43 AM »
Hey John,
     I got to play around with the G100 yesterday.  :) Only because my phase convertor for the spindle had to vent some smoke.  :(  I have the analog inputs and outputs working here now.  You are right, Analog input 4 is the top one in the monitor, 1 is 2nd, 2 is 3rd and 3 is 4th. Also in config. screen for the G100, spindle control, the analog output 1 is pin 4, 2 is pin 1, 3 is pin 2, and 4 is pin 3. Hopefully, all of this will change. The 4 inputs you see in the config, ports and pins, input signals has nothing to do with these as far as I can tell. Also, if you need to know for a macro pump, analog input pin 4 is input 124, 1 is input 125, 2 is input 126, and 3 is input 127. You should be able to, on the spindle setup tab in ports&pins, enable modbus spindle speed, at register 64, wire your spindle control (VFD or similar) to analog output 4 and cotrol it with Mach. Go to the MDI page, give it a m3 s ?*********, raise and lower the speed with the controls on scren while watching the G100 monitor. You won't see the monitor vary if you don't have the spindle runnig. You can also use an analog input to control an analog output, but you will need to do some work with VB. You need to have a macro pump or if you allready have one, you will need to add the code to do this.
     I can control my feedrate with an analog input but there is a problem. I have code in the macropump (Thanks to Poppabear and Art) that will allow me to turn a pot and the feed rate slider goes up and down as it should. The problem is, the actual speed of the machine does not change. This is being looked at by the Grandpoobah allready.

Hope this helps,
Brett
« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 09:26:29 AM by Chaoticone »