Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 11:00:31 PM

Author Topic: rotational axis set up  (Read 1971 times)

rotational axis set up
« on: August 11, 2019, 02:23:21 AM »
Hello everyone,

I am new to mach3 and was wondering if I could get some guidance on an issue with a rotational axis.

The set up is a turning lathe 48in x 12 the rotational axis is a permanent magnet motor (IronHorse standard performance DC permanent magnet motor, SCR-PWM rated, 1/2hp, 90 VDC, 1800rpm) and driver (IronHorse GSD4 series DC general purpose drive, 120/240 VAC, 1-phase, 1/8 to 1/2hp at 90 VDC) wired to a relay (HiLetgo 2pcs 5V 1 Channel Relay Module with optocoupler Support High or Low Level Trigger) and receiving a signal from a C11G CNC4PC breakout board.

The issue Im having is that motor cant be controlled, if the relay is on High level the motor turns non stop if its in low the pulse is sent but the motor does not move.

The axis is set as the Y with step pin number 6 and no dir pin, the X and Z work fine so does the endstops. any Ideas what this might be?

thank you in advance

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,672 2,672
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
Re: rotational axis set up
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2019, 08:16:42 PM »
Not sure what you are doing, is this the spindle drive motor, if so the drive needs a signal to tell it what speed to run at, this may be a PWM or a 0-10V input.

Mach3/4 can do PWM but to do 0-10V you will need a PWM to analogue card, you then need an output pin assigned in motor outputs then in motor tuning the spindle has to be set for step of 1000 and a velocity of 1500 or what frequency you need this will be output when commanded to the drive to tell it what speed to run at.

Or are you trying to do something else?

Without engineers the world stops
Re: rotational axis set up
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2019, 09:55:57 PM »
Thank you for your reply,

This would be the rotational axis for a lathe, Im just trying to control it from mach3 but I'm unable.

No need for PWM just an on and off signal this will only be turning in one direction as the X and Z axis carve the cylindrical object.

I am treating it as a spindle since it's wired with a relay. As I mentioned before, when the signal on the relay is High level the motor is always on, when the signal is low it never turns on but I am able to see the signal LED on the relay activate.