Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:59:12 PM

Author Topic: Retrofit masterwood Y coordinates problem  (Read 995 times)

Retrofit masterwood Y coordinates problem
« on: August 13, 2019, 04:15:59 AM »
Dear people,

I am retrofitting an old masterwood project 309 with mach4 and a CSMIO-ip/a. I am at the stage that I can test the machine. I now havea porblem with milling somehting. I use fusion360 to generate the gcode. Below you can see a screenshot of my sketch. The problem I have is that the upper y value between stock edge and the inner rectangle is 100.5mm and the lower value between the edge and rectangle is 99.5. The distance between the inneredges of the rectangle are perfect. It looks like the program takes the whole  rectangle and places is 0,5mm lower on the y axis. The stock dimensions are 2310mm x 875mm

When I try to run a other op like a slot the dimensions are perfect and the problem does not occur. Is this maybe a porblem with arc mode or distance mode of some sort? or maybe in my cam skills because they are not great.

I am really desperate because I can't seem to find the problem. I really hope someone could help me with this problem.

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
Re: Retrofit masterwood Y coordinates problem
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 10:13:34 PM »
If the dimensions machined are accurate it sounds like you are not locating in the part accurately. Shift your Y work offset by the amount it is off.
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2019, 01:42:44 AM »
If the dimensions machined are accurate it sounds like you are not locating in the part accurately. Shift your Y work offset by the amount it is off.
I agree that it sounds like  that. But I use g54 everytime because my machine has pins to always locate the part at the same location. So the location is always the same. The strangest thing is that when I use the slot operation from fusion360 the dimensions are perfect, but when I use the 2D pocket clearing/adaptive clearing or the 3D pocket clearing/adaptive with the same work offset. The problem occurs.  So it looks like it shifts the y coordinates when I use those operations.

I think it is a very strange problem. Thanks for the response.

Kind regards,
Jelle
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2019, 11:57:25 AM »
try change the direction of the final contour in the pocket
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2019, 01:54:53 PM »
Thank you people for the replies. Today I tried to mill the rectangles in two times. So first the upper part and second the lower part. The upper part was perfect but the lower part was 5mm to low. This explains why smaller parts would be perfect because those would be milled in the upper part of the machine.

The problem was an faulty encoder. I switched the x axis and y axis one and the problem transferred with the encoder.  I purchased the encoders 2 months ago from a supplier. But the one on the y axis was faulty from factory and skipped pulses when the machine would move fast and far.  This is why the slot would mill great because the entry point was close to the home position.

Thanks for the replies, but the problem is solved.

kind regards,
Jelle