Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 01:55:07 AM

Author Topic: Plasma ignition and stop lag problem  (Read 2617 times)

Re: Plasma ignition and stop lag problem
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2019, 08:29:03 AM »
Hi,
the three I listed are all Ethernet connected so you should get at least the same noise immunity that the Novosun
board gives you.

Craig

'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2019, 09:15:52 AM »
Hi,
all three have both Mach3 plugins AND mach4 plugins. Thus if you wished to upgrade you can do so.

All three in Mach3 have complete plugins including support for M10/M11 but also THC, which no doubt will interest you
if doing Plasma.

The UC300 has the potential for two analogue inputs, the 57CNC has up to six (from memory) analogue inputs whereas
the Ethernet SmoothStepper (ESS) has no analogue inputs. On the other hand the UC300 and 57CNC have max pulse rates
of 100k and 125k respectively  whereas the ESS is way faster at 4MHz.

Really when operating with Mach3 despite some  differences all three are good and similar in performance in practice.

The situation is different when operating with Mach4. The different controllers have differing and in some cases incomplete
Mach4 plugins.

The ESS has recently released a realtime THC function that both the UC300 and 57CNC lack. The ESS is only one of two
Mach4 motion controllers that has a realtime THC function, the other being the Hicon Integra. The Hicon with THC activated
is quite a bit more expensive at around $800. In fact the ESS has additional realtime supports including lathe threading,
laser rastering, spindle PID and backlash compensation. That makes the ESS the most complete (at the current time.....how long
that is true remains to be seen) of all the Mach4 capable controllers.

The most recent build of Mach4 has a script based THC function. Because it is a software solution it is nowhere near as
fast as either the Hicon or ESS THC functions; both being hardware enacted realtime; none the less NFS are of the opinion
that the closed loop bandwidth of the script solution is fast enough to be useful in all but the most demanding THC situations.
Depending on your speed-of-response THC demands then you may not deem it necessary for a motion controller to have realtime
THC. Should that be your determination the slightly cheaper UC300 and 57CNC come back into contention.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2019, 02:43:28 PM »
Hey, many thanks for the propositions and the detailling !