Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 06:12:23 AM

Author Topic: Mach 3 and the Surface tablet  (Read 2278 times)

Mach 3 and the Surface tablet
« on: September 24, 2019, 04:32:53 PM »
I am trying to use Mach 3 with my Surface tablet.  Have downloaded the software and attempted the install (including the all-important copying of 2 files/folders from the DVD that was included in the cnc package (yes, I had to go buy an external DVD drive... grrr).  However, the only icon that shows up on my home screen is the Mach 3 Loader, which the booklet of instruction says NOT to use.  And of course, when I do click on it, I get a screen that looks great EXCEPT the Reset button is flashing and clicking on it does nothing.  There is also an error message about E-Stop.  What am I doing wrong here?  Is it just simply incompatible with the Surface tablet as the computer?
Re: Mach 3 and the Surface tablet
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2019, 06:38:14 PM »
Hi,
Mach3 is a Windows application, thus it requires XP or Windows7 and later to run. It will also run on Windows98 etc but
don't go there. Additionally if you are going to use a parallel port motion controller the you MUST use a 32 bit OS,
Windows7 or earlier.

If you wish to use a later (Windows8 or Windows10) or ANY 64bit OS then you MUST use an external
motion controller like an Ethernet SmoothStepper or a UC300.

Some of the Surface Tablets had a funny OS, it looked like Windows but its not. It was not successful and Microsoft ditched
it.

Can you tell me exactly what OS you have installed? This will determine whether Mach will run and taken with the hardware
layout of your tablet will determine if you can use a parallel port.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2019, 07:18:13 PM »
It is Windows 10 pro, 64 bit
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2019, 12:40:35 AM »
Hi,
then Mach3 or Mach4 will run fine but you must use an external motion controller, my preference
and recommendation is an Ethernet SmoothStepper ($180) by Warp9.

You will need at least one breakout board, a C10 ($23) is cheap enough but has no relays, PWM or optoisolated inputs.
If you want the extra 'fruity bits' you will either have to add them yourself or buy a more sophisticated board.
Many are opting for an MB03 ($180) from CNCRoom, all three ports developed with relays, PWM and optos, all ready to rock.

Note that all development on Mach3 ceased six years ago, if you are building new I would recommend Mach4.

Craig
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2019, 09:46:36 AM »
Thank you.  I guess I should have mentioned that we built a CNC from a kit (SainSmart Genmitsu CNC Router Machine 3018-MX3, with Mach3 Control and Safety-Driven Design) - I think it has that external motion control already.  So, I'm not sure that trying Mach 4 would work with it.  Other thoughts, anyone?

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,195 9,195
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2019, 10:03:26 AM »
Mach3 Minimum Recommended Requirements

Requirements if using the parallel port for machine control:
Desktop PC with at least one parallel port
(Laptops are not supported)
32-bit version of Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7
(64-bit versions will not work)
1Ghz CPU
512MB RAM
Non-integrated Video Card with 32MB RAM
(Large G-code files, especially 3D files will require a video card with 512MB RAM or higher)

Requirements if using an external motion device for machine control:
An appropriate external motion controller
(options can be found on the Plugins page)
Desktop or Laptop with Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.
1Ghz CPU
512MB RAM
Video Card with 32MB RAM
(Large G-code files, especially 3D files will require a video card with 512MB RAM or higher)

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2019, 02:19:03 PM »
Hi,

SainSmart Genmitsu CNC Router Machine 3018-MX3, with Mach3 Control and Safety-Driven Design)

....and the manufacturer of the kit won't help? I think you are right those kits use a 'SainSmart' USB controller
sometimes also called BitSensor and RnR motion board depending on which Chinese manufacturer is selling it.
It won't work with Mach4.....in fact a lot of people have found they cant get it to work with Mach3 either!

My suggestion is ditch it and get a decent US or European made board.

Good luck.

Craig