Hello Guest it is May 14, 2021, 10:51:11 PM

Author Topic: Parker controller 6x and mach4  (Read 1347 times)

Re: Parker controller 6x and mach4
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2019, 02:12:19 PM »
Hi Smurph,
kool.

It must be satisfying to see that Mach4 is starting to attract the interest of other manufacturers like Interval Zero
and KingStar.

Craig
My wife left with my best friend...
     and I miss him!
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2019, 09:04:58 PM »
I’m using Parker GV Gemini/servo drive with 6K8 controller. Thanks
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2019, 03:01:17 AM »
Hi,
those servo drives can be driven in position mode with Step/Direction signals.

The simplest solution to using Mach4 to run your machine would be to get a Mach4 compatible controller
like an ESS or Hicon. Then you can signal directly to the servo drives and leave out th X6 controller.

Craig
My wife left with my best friend...
     and I miss him!
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2019, 04:02:52 PM »
Hi,

Windows does NOT have what it takes to ever be a real-time system.  It will never be "real-time enough" to get the job done.  It has a hard time even calculating what a millisecond of time is.  Forget microsecond and nanoseconds.  All of the systems that use Windows for real-time are not really using Windows at all but are rather using another operating system hidden behind the scenes.  It is very much the case where two machines running, one real-time and the other Windows, on the same hardware.  There are multiple ways to do this, but the common idea is that Windows doesn't do the real-time processing, ever.  It just looks like it does. 

That seems fairly definitive.......its the Windows PC that is the limitation. It is no more a realtime system now than two years
ago.

So this topic is old, but besides RTX64, there are also other easy-to-use and not-that-expensive solutions to do this with windows.

Both codesys and beckhoff provide hard real time capable softplc's that run with windows and provide ethercat masters (Control RTE and Twincat, respectively).
Both also have soft realtime versions of the same thing that doesn't have quite as onerous of requirements.

The hard real time ones work by isolating cores from windows, and using a kernel extension to control them.  Windows no longer sees these cores.
Twincat supports multicore plc, codesys does not for hard realtime, but does for soft realtime.

Both provide slightly modified network drivers if you want hard real time. Codesys supports realtek and intel chipsets (which covers just about everything out there), Beckhoff only supports intel chipsets. 
if you can accept soft real time (~50-100us jitter), you don't need them. The network cards are not isolated from normal traffic with realtime drivers installed.

It is otherwise invisible to windows, and works perfectly fine. They are both used in safety critical applications, and can easily provide <15us jitter no problem.

I can run visual studio and builds and whatever and it still maintains hard real time.

It works fine as an ethercat master for CNC, I drive the Spindle VFD/Vacuum, a bunch of pid loops, air actuation, etc, all using ethercat and twincat PLC.

I used to run it on the main CNC software machine for years (worked great), but these days I din mounted a very small fanless quad core pentium n4200 in the cabinet (mainly because i can put the long term support IOT version of windows on it, but don't want to use that on my main CNC box).

Both are programmed with  IEC61131-3 environments - Codesys has their own IDE, which is actually OEM'd into a *lot* of other environments. Twincat used to be based on codesys back in the day but is no longer.  Twincat3 now can just integrate with VS if you have it, or provides the  slimmed down VS environment you can use.