Hello Guest it is April 24, 2024, 08:29:01 AM

Author Topic: Mach program and an industrial pc with com ports questions  (Read 2133 times)

Re: Mach program and an industrial pc with com ports questions
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2019, 07:17:29 AM »
Hi,
my suggestion is start at the cutting tool and work backwards.

By this I mean you need to determine what materials you want to cut and what tools you want to do it.
That will in turn define the power, torque and speed of the spindle. Then you need to decide on the maximum cutting rate
and possibly also on the traverse rate.

Those decisions will in turn determine the required rigidity of the axes and therefore the technology you use in them,
be it round rails and linear bearings or rectangular rails and recirculating ball bearing loaded cars or some other method.

The same decisions will determine what size steppers  are required, or if the speed requires servos rather than steppers.
The cutting forces and acceleration/deceleration forces will determine the torque required of the stepper/servo.

You will have to go through the decision tree several times because you might decide for instance that you want to cut steel
but as you progress through the decision tree you realize that the cost has just blown out and its un-achieveable.

I need to point out that I did not really do this when I designed and built my mill....but I rather wish I had. I tended to
settle on those components that I could get reasonably priced second hand. Its very easy under those circumstances
to find an 'overkill' part or assembly there but only a sub-standard part there. Trying to keep the design balanced and
prevent the budget from blowing out making decisions from the tool backwards in invaluable.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2019, 10:02:23 PM »
Hi Aron,

A bit off topic but I learned a big lesson from my dog – he steals stuff and will not give it back unless I give him a treat - he has now basically started ‘trading’.

So…

When I want new CNC stuff I suggest to the minister of finance that she buys a new handbag or shoes, etc. – it works every time (however, to avoid the crippling expense of designer stuff always set-up an ebay account).

Good fortune with your CNC build.  ;)

Tweakie.

ahahahaha, im building this machine for the minister of finance, so does that mean ill go by myslef something nice ;

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,199 9,199
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2019, 08:03:05 AM »
ahahahaha, im building this machine for the minister of finance, so does that mean ill go by myslef something nice ;

Definitely, treat yourself   ;D ;D

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2019, 08:45:45 PM »
Loking at teh specs of that PC it talks in teh bious settings about a PCIe port. It may have an internal PCIe port that can be brought out and run as a LPT mode.

Just a thought , (;-) TP