Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:20:44 AM

Author Topic: Losing Config's After Computer Re-Starts  (Read 1071 times)

Losing Config's After Computer Re-Starts
« on: May 14, 2019, 05:57:17 PM »
Hi everyone, my first post and a total Newbie.

I'm a Teacher in a High School that has taken over a Manufacturing class that doesn't have a whole lot of toys in it. One of the toys is a Red Cam CNC machine. One of the first things I did was get it repaired and running. The Red Cam employee took the control box and changed the hook up from a parallel port to a USB port.

When the guy from Red Cam came back, he also ran the machine to see if it works. It ran beauty till we turned off the computer. The Mach 3 still ran but lost all its information for the configs. We tried it again, and the same thing happened. When this info was lost, it also affected the CNC - which was no movement from the machine.

At this point, I used my personal Laptop to install Mach 3 and get the CNC running again. Speaking with the Red Cam employee on the phone for the settings, it ran smooth....till I had to shut off my Laptop (ThinkPad - 32bit - Windows 10). The same thing happened with my Laptop, the settings had all disappeared and the CNC wouldn't move or work.

I've looked at the Mach3 XML file and the box is unchecked for Read Only.

It's the most frustrating thing, as the students are eager to use the machine and have seen it in action. The Red Cam guy has pretty much said it's the Laptop and the Desktop computers (he says they both must use a deep freeze software?? which they don't have).....so I'm stuck trying to figure this out to get it up and running. Being new to all this, it's extremely difficult.

I'm really hoping someone can help and point us in the right direction. It's such an opportunity for these kids to experience running the CNC and hope we can get them there.

Thanks,
Norm

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
Re: Losing Config's After Computer Re-Starts
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2019, 07:55:29 PM »
Make sure you are looking at the correct .xml file.
Not sure I've ever heard of this issue, unless the .xml is indeed set to Read Only.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2019, 09:26:09 PM »
Make sure your system date and time is correct when you close Mach and when you open it. A dead cmos battery can cause this problem.
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2019, 01:27:21 AM »
Just throwing in ideas...

The on-screen shortcut to Mach3 may be calling a different profile to the one you were last using.
Go into the Mach3 folder and double click the Mach3 application – this should bring up a list of current profiles – if there is more than one then try each until you find the correct one – note the profile name that works and change your desktop shortcut properties to the new profile name (note there is a space between the /p and the name).

Tweakie.
PEACE