Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:55:37 AM

Author Topic: online tutorials  (Read 9049 times)

online tutorials
« on: September 02, 2007, 07:42:35 PM »
how can I download the tutorials on one computer and save them to disk/memory stick and replay them out in the shop?
It used to work fine up to a few weeks ago and I saved some while building machine now
that the "sparks" are about to fly it would help to have as much info as possible.

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
  • Wakefield, West Yorks, UK
    • View Profile
Re: online tutorials
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 01:14:19 PM »
I have downloaded the tutorials into a folder in "My documents/CNC tutorials". These can be copied onto a wand - I have just tried it with Turn Intro - which is 12 Kbytes.

What you must have is Shockwave Flash Player installed on your workshop computer.

Take the wand through to the workshop computer and download it
Not me driving the engine - I'm better looking.
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 01:25:42 PM »
great, but I cannot get them to save anywhere

Offline Whacko

•  239 239
  • Happy Days
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 02:48:27 PM »
Did you try right to click mouse on the file link and choose option "Save target As" in the popup menu?

Whacko
Nothing's impossible

Offline Whacko

•  239 239
  • Happy Days
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 02:50:59 PM »
To add on the topic, can you view them online? There is a way to save even files that don't allow a "download" option. Shall we call it a slight "Microsoft" and "WinXP" oversight and weak point? ;D For instance, if you are running XP, 2000, server, nt etc. there is a temp file that acts as a buffer to enable the temporary storage of the file so it will execute smoothly. Depending on your internet settings and if you haven't deleted your tempory internet files out of the "tools" menu option in IExporer, the file will be on your hard disk. Mine is at (C:\Documents and Settings\William.WILLIAM-BD7827B\Local Settings\Temp) which is a bit confusing as I run multiple OS's as a developer. Yours should be similar except for the "William.WILLIAM-BD7827B" part which would be your username with which you log on to Windows. To find it easily, use Windows Explorer to locate the directory, click on the menu view options, select "detail" then click on the info bar that says "type". That'll group all the file types together by their extension, in this case most propably .swf. You can copy and save the file to another location so that Windows won't delete it when you exceed your ie temp directory size limit. There's so much to learn, and so little time!
Apologies for the purists I might have upset by devulging this type of info.

Whacko for Real
« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 03:04:35 PM by Whacko »
Nothing's impossible
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2007, 04:00:37 PM »
Thanks for the try Whacko but it is not even saving to my temp file.
all I can do is play it on line.I tried it with a laptop and same results .
I,m using xp on my main computer and the laptop is vista.The sad part is I had stored most of the tutorial files on
my kids computer but lost them all durring a hard drive fail.
I,m starting to get !!!!

Offline Whacko

•  239 239
  • Happy Days
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2007, 04:33:20 PM »
Fear not for all is not in vain. Your ie settings needs to be adjusted, but there is even a simpler way. Get a download utility. This link is a good one and has resume support if you loose the connection. The link - http://www.metaproducts.com/mp/mpProducts_Detail.asp?id=18
Reason? Backdoor way of saving your file.
Firstly, if you don't want a download utility, this is the way to catch the file. When your mediaplayer (Does not really matter which player) is executing the file, (you are watching it) make sure to select the replay button, meaning it will replay the file till you stop it. Once the file has been viewed fully, to make sure the whole file has been downloaded, hit the pause button, minimise the app and then go find it in your temp file. But it does not neccesarily mean that the file is in the temp  directory, it could be somewhere else. So you could run the "search" facility to locate the file if you know the filename.
Here enters the download utility, which will display the whole path to where the file is temporary stored. This is a sure way to get a backup copy to save permanently on your hardrive.

Whacko because hacking is fun!
Nothing's impossible
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2007, 06:35:54 PM »
see the poor guy ready to jump off the bridge?
Why in the name of God did they change the old format.
I have downloaded the program you specified Whacko but nothing.
It found the file but only the url link.nothing saved.
Oh well I've wasted tooooooo much time on such a simple thing.Time to chuck it and carry on.
could some one email me them?

Offline Whacko

•  239 239
  • Happy Days
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2007, 03:57:51 AM »
Hang on Keith, don't jump! You owe me a whallop on my whacko head. When you click on the file in the download utility, you must choose "run from here" if the file on the website does not have a "save/download" option. The file will be on your computer. It's possible that it's hidden, you got to change the explorer options to show all files. If you don't know how, let me know. The download utility has option tabs like "info" "map" etc. Select the info tab, you will see as it is downloading, one of the textboxes will display the download path.
What does it show on your PC? Come hell or highwater, you'll get those files.

Whacko
Nothing's impossible

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
  • Wakefield, West Yorks, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2007, 07:46:15 AM »
which ones do you want ??

Not me driving the engine - I'm better looking.