Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 06:13:19 PM

Author Topic: Mach3 X/Y/Z Step Pin & Dir Pin #  (Read 2504 times)

Mach3 X/Y/Z Step Pin & Dir Pin #
« on: May 02, 2019, 12:35:10 PM »
I have a older CNC Router (Windows 98) that I would like to upgrade to Mach3,  I downloaded the Demo version and when I went to configure it, it is asking me for Step Pin #, and Dir Pin # (along with Step Port, and Dir Port),  I don't have any information that shows what numbers I should enter here,  is there a way to determine what my current setup is?  I'm not sure how to proceed with this.

Thank You
Pat W.
PDJ Cutting and Fabricating

Offline TPS

•  2,505 2,505
    • View Profile
Re: Mach3 X/Y/Z Step Pin & Dir Pin #
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2019, 12:39:55 PM »
maybe by following the wiring to the pin's of the 25 subd plug?
anything is possible, just try to do it.
if you find some mistakes, in my bad bavarian english,they are yours.

Offline reuelt

•  520 520
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2019, 07:06:45 PM »
I have a older CNC Router (Windows 98) that I would like to upgrade to Mach3,  I downloaded the Demo version and when I went to configure it, it is asking me for Step Pin #, and Dir Pin # (along with Step Port, and Dir Port),  I don't have any information that shows what numbers I should enter here,  is there a way to determine what my current setup is?  I'm not sure how to proceed with this.

Thank You
Pat W.

If it win98 router is based on Ability system's INDEXER LPT, the wiring of the parallel ports are very different from MACH3.
Can you confirm what software you were using?
"the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord"

Offline reuelt

•  520 520
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2019, 02:19:54 AM »

Thank You
Pat W.

If it win98 router is based on Ability system's INDEXER LPT you will need TWO parallel ports since Indexer LPT only supports 2 axis on one parallel port.
Attached is a connection diagram to give you a clue on how to connect a Router built with Indexer LPT/Win98 to MACH3.
(my first router had INDEXER LPT/ Win98 so I am just guessing it is likely your machine could be the same.)
I know of no other systems using the parallel port + win98.
"the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord"
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2019, 07:41:18 AM »
The router is a Maxym 2448 Power Arm Robot, it is driven by 3 stepper motors,  Based on the limited information I was able to find on this machine, I'm not sure that Mach3 will work with the current Machine Control,  I may have upgrade both the machine control, and the software (to Mach3).