Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 12:27:34 PM

Author Topic: Safety FIRST: Stop Windows from initializing the Parallel Port(s)  (Read 3255 times)

Offline reuelt

•  520 520
    • View Profile
When Windows 7 boots up, it usually INITIALIZE the parallel port.
This is bad if you are NOT using a BOB (bread out Board) with a "CHARGE PUMP" or at least "an enable pin" to turn off the drive motors until MACH3 is in control.

But even  when using "CHARGE PUMP" or "an enable pin", the VFD Spindle & coolant pumps motors  may still start BEFORE MACH3 takes control.

The way to stop THAT (FOR SAFTEY REASONS) is to edit a registry key to STOP WINDOWS from INITIALIZING the parallel port on boot up.

1.   Click Start, Run, type ‘regedit‘ and press Enter, to open your registry editor
2.   Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Parport
3.   Double-click on the REG_DWORD “Start”
4.   In the window that popups, replace 3 with 4 and click OK.
5.     Reboot

(This patch does NOT work with Windows XP!)
"the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord"

Offline ZASto

•  423 423
    • View Profile
Re: Safety FIRST: Stop Windows from initializing the Parallel Port(s)
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2019, 03:50:20 PM »
Even when using parallel port, iti is advisable to use BOB. I made one, some years ago, when I replaced RZNC 050(I guess 2) with a computer running Mach3, with charge pump that was in controll of ALL possible outputs.
So, registry tweak is OK but hardware is hardware :)
And that computer was/is running Win XP.
Another machine will soon receive charge pump safety (chineese BOB will be modified).

;)
Make no mistake between my personality and my attitude.
My personality is who I am.
My attitude depends on who you are.

Offline reuelt

•  520 520
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2019, 04:47:09 PM »
Agree with using BOB that has Charge Pump circuit.

But
1. Charge Pump needs to be turned on using a jumper at the BOB. Many just left it OFF.
2. MACH3 Pulsing frequency must be at least 35,000Hz (not 25,000) for the Charge Pump to work since 25,000Hz could not generate 12.5K frequency.  So Demo users cannot use Charge pump.
3. Charge pump BOB doesn't work with some external motion controller like the WARP9 ESS motion controller.

Most machines may have BOB with only has "enable" pin and NOT charge pump. These will work better with ESS when BOB with Charge Pump does not even work.

For XP users
another change in Registry may be necessary
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Parport\Parameters] "DisableWarmPoll"=dword:00000001
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 04:49:25 PM by reuelt »

Offline ZASto

•  423 423
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2019, 06:31:58 AM »
This was your first sentence, so external motion controllers are out of scope of your writing (I guess ;) )
As far as I know, CP works even at 25kHz kernel speed. Maybe that charge pump is disabled in demo mode together with other demo limitations.

Offline reuelt

•  520 520
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2019, 11:41:35 AM »
This was your first sentence, so external motion controllers are out of scope of your writing (I guess ;) )
As far as I know, CP works even at 25kHz kernel speed. Maybe that charge pump is disabled in demo mode together with other demo limitations.

People have proven using an Oscilloscope that the charge pump freq at 25,000 kernel speed was only about around 2.2k and not around 12.9K. If the "CHARGE PUMP" circuit still works, it must be a low quality circuit without any band pass filter.

I presented this solution because most BOB with charge pump circuit only disables the Steppers or Servo motors NOT VFD drives and Coolant pumps and some MOTION CONTROLLERS vendors who cannot get charge pumps to work falsely claim "charge  pumps are optional because windows initializes  parallel port on boot-up whereas the motion controllers do not.

I have my MACH3 kernel Parallel Port Kernel running at 100,000Hz/60,000Hz so I know it is safer than using any External Motion Controller that won't stop pulsing immediately if the PC suddenly crashes.

Offline TPS

•  2,501 2,501
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2019, 02:21:37 PM »
to talk about safety in context with macropump or other "enable" signals  or estop Input
(on a 5v switching on everything BOB) is just ridiculous.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 02:23:53 PM by TPS »
anything is possible, just try to do it.
if you find some mistakes, in my bad bavarian english,they are yours.

Offline reuelt

•  520 520
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2019, 12:42:24 AM »
J.R. Hatcher
Just call me: J.R. #4       Wilmington, North Carolina
United States of America

Al the basic purpose of the charge pump is to keep the machine from moving if it is not reporting to mach3. Safety, safety, safety.

Gerald D
Cape Town
South Africa

The parallel port on PC's give false signals during a PC's startup - the charge pump prevents false moves and spindle starts while booting the PC and before Mach3 has taken control of the parallel port.

USA

Default HELP - Wiring C10, Charge Pump, and Spindle Control
Hello Everyone

Little background, I have a CNC router and I am using 5V from the computer power supply to power all the board (c10, Charge Pump, PWM Control board etc)

The problem i am having is when the computer is turned on the spindle starts and will run till mach 3 is open and the reset is pressed (Mach 3 takes control) and the spindle will turn off. As you can imagine this is a safety problem.

I do have a charge pump. (C4) that to my understanding detects a signal from Mach 3 and turns everything on once mach 3 takes control. The way i have it wired right now it works for all the servos, but it does not work for the spindle.

I can find wire guides for the charge pump to C10 and spindle control board to C10 but i cannot find a wire guide that includes all 3 of them. Can someone help me with the wiring of the 3 boards?

Thanks
Mike

So This Thread provides registry patches is to stop Windows from giving the parallel "false signals" during a PC's startup.

Safety issue or Not , YOU can decide.
But I think, if motor or spindle moves when MACH is NOT is control, it is UNSAFE.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 12:44:24 AM by reuelt »

Offline ZASto

•  423 423
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2019, 03:50:46 AM »
@reuelt:
Lets not argue anymore, OK :)

I have designed my BOB that KILLS everything when there is no CP signal.
Will check the freq of CP when I visit workshop and with different kernel speeds. You just made me curious :)

;)

Offline reuelt

•  520 520
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2019, 06:22:17 PM »
OK
Good on You.