Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:41:24 AM

Author Topic: Cut Circle in metric  (Read 3327 times)

Cut Circle in metric
« on: August 25, 2007, 12:00:34 PM »
HI ,

I'm not sure but I believe the cut circle wizard is not metric. Can somebody verifiy that ?
I use MACH 3

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
  • Wakefield, West Yorks, UK
    • View Profile
Re: Cut Circle in metric
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 03:37:51 PM »
I don't know exactley which wizard you are referring to. - BUT in the tutorials it says that we can switch between metric and imperial.
The only trouble is, I haven't found how to do t  yet.
Not me driving the engine - I'm better looking.

Hood

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 03:24:15 PM »
Yes the wizard will cut in mm if your mill is set up for mm. Basically the wizard is writing the code from the dimensions you put in so in reality it doesnt matter whether its metric or imperial as if the diameter you input  is 3 then it will be 3mm if using a metric profile or 3 inches if Imperial.

jimpinder
If you want Imperial you use G20 and Metric G21.
Hood

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 12:56:53 PM »
Hood - I've just noticed your comment.

My trouble is I use both.

The machine is set up in Imperial, but much of the stuff I do is also metric - over here most of the material you buy is metric.

Does this mean that I can just put the appropriate code in, and the machine will respond in whichever system I need.

I am thinking, obviously, if I have all my tool offsets in imperial, will the machine, if I specify metric, convert these to metric for that particular program ???

Jim

Hood

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 01:36:00 PM »
Jim, if by "over here" you are meaning Europe well thast where I am too, Scotland to be precise ;)
 Not too sure on the offsets issue though as I really only work in metric, maybe Brian or someone more knwledgable about that will chime in.

Hood

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2007, 02:40:09 PM »
Hood

Yes - I am down in England (although my mother was Scottish and one of my sons lives in Kirriemuir, Angus). All the steel I buy is metric dimension, and I have been thinking of setting up the lathe in metric. The trouble is it is an imperial lathe, with all the dials (when I look at them) set in thou.

Perhaps I can go one step up, and use two versions of Mach3, one for metric work and one for imperial.

Does any body know the answer to offsets, when using metric or imperial ????

Jim

Hood

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2007, 02:46:46 PM »
Well Kirrie is only about 25miles inland from me, I am from Carnoustie,  small world LOL.
 Yes lots of people set up a metric and imperial profile but personally I have never felt the need. Not done any lathe work at all yet as my lathe is still in the long process of getting retrofitted and it seems Parcelforce have lost the drive I had on the way from the USA :( Looks like my lathe work will all be manual for a while yet.

Hood