Third party software and hardware support forums. > dspMC/IP Motion Controller

PC requirements for Mach4 with DSPMC

(1/2) > >>

protman16:
Hi All,

After using Mach3 for many years on both a mill and lathe and experiencing many annoying issues that have supposedly been fixed with Mach4 I have decided to take the plunge and update to Mach4.

Currently I have two machines running Mach3 with DSPMC's on windows XP platform. My concern is when I update to Mach4 with the DSPMC's will I need to upgrade the operating system as well? Does anyone have any insight into updating from Mach3 to Mach4 with a DSPMC controller?

Thanks
protman16

joeaverage:
Hi,
I don't have the same controller but Mach4 runs on any Windows OS that would run Mach3. The controller is irrelevant to
that.

Craig

TPS:
Mach4 Recommended Requirements

PREFERRED: 32 or 64-bit Laptop or Desktop – Using an External Motion Controller
Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8
An appropriate external motion controller
Mach4 Plugin for the selected Motion Controller
2Ghz CPU
1GB RAM
Video Card with 256MB RAM(Large G-code files, especially 3D files will require a video card with 512MB RAM or higher)

32-bit Desktop – Parallel Port Recommended Requirements
32-bit version of Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7
Mach4 Parallel Port Legacy Plugin (cost applicable)
2Ghz CPU
1GB RAM
Non-integrated Video Card with 256MB RAM(Large G-code files, especially 3D files will require a video card with 512MB RAM or higher)
*Use of Parallel Port for machine control only with desktop style computers with 32-bit versions of windows 7 and below.

protman16:
Doing a little searching I found one user that said Mach4 needs to run on window 7 when using a DSPMC.

https://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php?topic=32095.msg224015#msg224015

Any other DSPMC machines out there found that they need to run on windows 7?

protman16:
For those who maybe interested in this, it seems that Mach4 loads without issue on an XP system. Unfortunately the plugin for the DSPMC will not load the library file correctly under an XP system. I think this is probably due to the plugin being compiled on a windows 7 system.

If you see this error;

"Failed to load shared library 'M4DSPMC.m4pw' (error 0: the operation completed successfully.)"

then your XP system cannot run Mach4 using the DSPMC plugin.

On a side note, I changed firmware from 9.05 to 10.12 in preparation for Mach4 and noticed that Mach3 will still work with the DSPMC. Actually some of the issues I was seeing with the spindle control in Mach3 went away with the firmware update. Not all functions work using firmware 10.12 with Mach3, such as MPG(s), but I did not expect any functions to work considering 10.12 is to be used with Mach4.

Thanks,
protman16

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version