Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:43:37 AM

Author Topic: 4 positions!  (Read 3713 times)

4 positions!
« on: October 28, 2005, 12:00:04 AM »
I know that has your attention so here is the question! ;D I have a 4th axis that I use in my gunstock production, but I will be using it in other operations too. I need a way to make sure that I am dead 0 and a way to make sure I am at the other three positions, 90,180 and 270. Most all my stock work can be done at these 4 positions. How is the best way to make sure they are correct? I currently have a switch that I back off of for 0 but I would like to know that the other three are correct. Part of my concern is that my 4th axis is at the bottom limit of being geared correctly. I am at 17:1 reduction but when my router makes even a .200" plunge cut, I can see the stock move. I don't know if it has moved position or has simply twisted slightly with the downward pressure.

I know I could use a larger motor, better gearing or a brake that is applied via a relay. I just don't want to have to make that move yet because I am patiently waiting for G-Rex and Mach4. Once I know those are ready I will start a new machine and will build it right. So any simple fix would be appreciated.

Mike