Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 11:13:23 AM

Author Topic: Setting Up ModBus and Brain Communication  (Read 3039 times)

Setting Up ModBus and Brain Communication
« on: March 25, 2019, 05:21:02 PM »
Hi,

I am trying to work on a project where I want to have a PLC write to Mach 3 to start a program and then when it is finished have mach 3 give a signal to the PLC that it is complete but I am having a hard time setting up the ModBus Configuration to do so. I am using Ethernet communication. Can anyone help?

Cheers,
Elaine
Re: Setting Up ModBus and Brain Communication
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 07:00:42 PM »
I am very new to mach4 so I could be all wrong,  but I use Modbus with PLC's quite often.  The Modbus I see available on my bob is Serial so Ethernet comms wont do the job.

ModbusTCP , if it were available and if you could receive it would work over Ethernet. But Modbus serial wont.
Re: Setting Up ModBus and Brain Communication
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2019, 08:00:34 PM »
Hi,
to OP (ecook29) that should be possible. To be honest I found the Mach3 Modbus plugin very confusing and swore
I would never use it again. I have not used TCP/IP in Mach3, but when all said and done it is just another
serial communication protocol and think that it is possible.

I find the Mach4 Modbus plugin to be very much better, and it has all the features you could want, TCP/IP, Ascii
or RTU serial, RS485. All data is in registers so it is easy to access it, update it or test it for the purpose of enacting
some machine behavior.

I would be happy to assist if you were using Mach4 but not Mach3.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'