Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 03:17:30 PM

Author Topic: Edge finding?  (Read 8958 times)

Edge finding?
« on: August 14, 2007, 08:32:14 AM »
Hello all
Before i start with my problem, please excuse my poor english.
I am looking for some macro for probing in X and Y directions. I will get material with completed outside machining and I will need to mill some pockets and holes into that semi-finished product. So i search for some solution for finding its exact position. I do not think that i need complete digitizing. I just need to touch material once in x direction and then once in Y direction

Thanks for any help

Aluman

Re: Edge finding?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 09:22:42 AM »
Hi, Aluman:

Depending on complexity, zarzul (a poster here) has a neat little optical edge finder that he sells pretty inexpensively - look in the bargain basement under edge finder.  I have used his unit with good results.

Bob @ BobsShop - Works for me.
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 11:04:16 AM »
Hi Bob
Thanks, its cool! I will purchase something like that, but i think that probing via some macro would be more accurate. In fact i am going to sell one of my cnc and my possible customer requires most accurate solution for edge finding. Anyway i will try this camera system for my other machine.

Any other ideas?

Aluman

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 12:29:37 PM »
Hi, Aluman:

Not sure what you mean by "probing," if you dont want to want to use digitizing.  But there was another shop made probe listed in a post somewhere on here (sorry, don't remember where).  Don't think it is being offered for sale yet though.  Maybe someone else knows another solution.  Have you ever used a mechanicla edge finder - type that spins in the spindle and kicks out when it reaches an edge?  Accurate and Inexpensive - can probably be found on E-bay or at any machine shop tool supplier. 

Good luck.

Bob @ BobsShop
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 01:08:16 PM »
Hi Bob
Thanks for your response.
I was thinking about something like auto tool zero for z axis. I am using mobile calibrator and i guess that i can make new button for each axis and implement some macro to them. Macros should be similar to auto tool zero macro. Thats only my vision. If you tell me that is necessary to use probe, i will do that. But digitizing wizard which i have found looks too complicated to me. As i wrote i need only to touch semi finished product from each side for accurate zeroing.

I will try to find that mechanical edge finder on ebay. I have never seen something like that.
Thanks for another good tip.   

Regards    Aluman

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
  • Wakefield, West Yorks, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 01:21:45 PM »
I cannot understand why you need anything so complicated. If all you want is to place the workpeice in the same position time after time, then build a little jig and fasten it to your table. Put in the work piece, drilll it and pocket it and take it out. Put in the next piece. You are saying that the work you get is already machined on the outside, so there will be no difficulty with it fitting in the jig.

Jim
Not me driving the engine - I'm better looking.
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 02:12:31 PM »
Jim, you would not believe how long i tried to explain it to man who is interested in my cnc. I know it is the easiest way and i use it, but he saw similar system somewhere and just requires that.
I have sold few machines before and i have a lot of experiences with guys who necessary need 0,0001 accuracy of cnc, but then use material with +/- 0.5mm tolerance.
This man should be same so i have to make something more sophisticated.

Regards Aluman     

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
  • Wakefield, West Yorks, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2007, 03:19:32 AM »
I thought perhaps, that I was missing some point or other.

He needs to go see how a proper CNC shop works. I think probab;y, that a jig is the most accurate, and certainly the speediest.

Jim.
Not me driving the engine - I'm better looking.
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2007, 08:21:04 AM »
I fully agree with you, but i hope that someone here can recommend me some macro or wizard for probing in x,y directions.

If anyone wants to see my machine, follow this link http://aluminiumracing.com/arttechno/art6090-1.jpg
Yes, it came from china, but works perfect after complete reassembling. They used good parts, but the quality of assembling was terrible.   

Regards   Aluman
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2007, 08:42:34 AM »
Hi all
I have made modification of some auto tool zero macro and it works as i wanted. Now i have buttons for probing in each directions, but i have tried Brian's rotation set wizard and i found new problem. First i made rotation of coordinate system and then i touched material in X and Y direction for finding of zero point,
till here each move was done in right direction as coordinates were rotated, but when i hit goto z button i found that it does not work as i expected, because zero point was taken as without rotation of coordinates. Sorry if you do not understand what i am trying to say. Hope that picture will help

http://aluminiumracing.com/rotation.bmp

Any ideas?

Aluman