Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:44:38 AM

Author Topic: mach4 and Galil plugin  (Read 1242 times)

mach4 and Galil plugin
« on: February 11, 2019, 10:23:07 AM »
Steve,

Quotes from what seems like a dead thread.

<<
Quote from: smurph on April 20, 2017, 08:44:46 PM
Tony,

Unfortunately, there is no demo version of the Mach 4 plugin.  I will see if I can implement that.

Nice work on that variable J head!  You managed to get rid of all the noisy parts quite nicely.    i have replaced so many of those bushings i lost count.  I much prefer a pulley J head because of the noise those things will start making.  And they will get noisy pretty damned fast.  Just watch the spindle bearings and make sure they don't heat too much at those speeds!

Steve
end quote>>

Steve,

It has been a while since I have checked in to the forum.  I see that much progress has occurred with the Mach4 Galil plugin, but that the DMC 2143 has not been tested yet.  I am still willing to do this if you can release a demo version of the plugin.  You will understand that I am unwilling to buy the plugin until I am sure that it will work.

Offline smurph

•  1,544 1,544
  • "That there... that's an RV."
    • View Profile
Re: mach4 and Galil plugin
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 12:39:42 AM »
2143s will probably never get tested.  :(  Kenny has moved to the Caribbean and I don't have any 21x3s anymore.  The best thing is to move to a supported controller.  41x3 or 40x0 and RIOs for extra I/O, if needed.  And if the 21x3 did ever work, we would not support it.  The plugin is now written to take advantage of motion modes that the 21x3 simply doesn't have, namely Contour mode. 

Steve
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 03:23:04 AM »
Steve,

I am willing to be a guinea pig and test it.  If it works everybody is happy and if it doesn't then I will have only lost a bit of time.
If it works then whether it is supported would be of no concern.

Offline smurph

•  1,544 1,544
  • "That there... that's an RV."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 02:44:03 PM »
Tony,

The problem is that if there is something that doesn't work with it, I'm not going to be capable of fixing it for the 21x3 series.  And I'm about 99% sure that the plugin will not work with a 21x3 at this time.  Because I did a lot of structural changes to better support the 4000 series controllers that are just not compatible with the 2000 series controllers.  :(  The reason I'm not 100% sure is because I don't have a 21x3 for which to test.  But just from working on the Galil plugin for many years, my experience tells me 21x3 is a no go now. 

The 4000 series is just a much better fit to Mach than the 2000 series ever was.  And as good as the Mach/Galil combination was with the 2000 series controls way back when, there really is no comparison to the Mach/Galil combination with the 4000 series.  So much so, I dumped all of my 2000 series controllers and bought 4000 series controllers to replace them.  Yeah, it was a bit painful.  But WELL worth it. 

Steve
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 05:28:33 PM »
Understood.