Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 02:56:59 PM

Author Topic: Can I safely downgrade Mach4 to an older version without loosing settings?  (Read 918 times)

Can I safely downgrade Mach4 to an older version (older build) without loosing settings?

I have problems with Mach4 demo  v 4.2.0.4054 so I want to try an older version. Will that mess up my Mach settings?
I also have the ESS V 232 plugin. Will the settings in that plugin be messed up if I downgrade?

Can I do a Help/Suppert/Package Current Profile and load that in the older version?
Re: Can I safely downgrade Mach4 to an older version without loosing settings?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 03:34:10 PM »
Hi,
when you update Mach4, which would include installing an earlier build any files that have the same filename will be overwritten.

Thus if you use the file wx4.set, a screen set folder, that you have modified to do certain specific things. Now when you update
you will get a fresh wx4.set file, overwriting and losing all your edits/tweaks.

The trick to having Mach update WITHOUT losing all your work/settings/macros etc is to have unique and personalized names
for your profile AND YOUR SCREEN SET. Most people don't bother having a personalized screen set and the wonder what happened
to all their screen edits when they update. I know....that's how I found out!

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2019, 03:05:18 AM »
Thanks for info @joeaverage.

I wonder what is the official way to transfer ALL settings from one Mach4 install to the other? Copy manually the profile and screen set to a backup folder and to copy those back when you have done the new install?

Or ...

to go to the Help/Suppert/PackageCurrentProfile menu and make a backup that way?
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2019, 03:18:21 AM »
Hi,
if your profile and screenset are named appropriately you don't have to do anything. All the other files get replaced
but not your ones.

Yes you can package your profile but if is not uniquely named it will get overwritten. Likewise the screenset. Make sure it
is uniquely named.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'