Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:11:16 AM

Author Topic: Getting "-----ESS: Limit Switch triggered on" at bootup of mach4  (Read 3738 times)

Offline jevs

•  315 315
    • View Profile
Re: Getting "-----ESS: Limit Switch triggered on" at bootup of mach4
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2019, 08:37:12 AM »
I have an idea I will check tonight. I have the "Charge pump runs in EStop" unchecked in the ESS settings. Maybe my BoB could be holding the limit switch circuit hostage until it sees the ESS provide the charge pump signal?

This is from my BoB manual.

"Charge pump circuit and enable signals
When there is no E-stop condition and the Mach3 software based control is running
properly, Mach3 outputs a steady pulse stream to the IO6 breakout board. The IO6
receives this pulse stream and sends an enable signal to every axis mod jack
connector, on mod jack pin #4. It also enables all outputs of the IO6. If this pulse
stream is interrupted, the IO6 will correspondingly disable all outputs from the IO6.
This safety circuit prevents spurious outputs from the PC from producing unexpected
results.
The charge pump circuit energizes a relay that provides a pair of bare relay contacts,
and +5V & +24V enable signal for system integrators to use to implement other safety
measures. We also provide direct access to the charge pump signal. This phoenix
terminal is located on the Auxiliary Terminal Block. (See Figure 2)"

My E-stop and limit switches will kill the drives and stuff regardless of the ESS condition, so I am going to try turning this option on in the ESS so that it keeps the charge pump alive to see what happens.

I may need to rethink how I have my limit switches and E-stop wired with Mach4. Not sure yet. What I have now is very effective for safety though. The limit switches basically produce an E-Stop condition since they are in series with it.   
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2019, 06:39:29 PM »
You have all the switches series-connected. Surely, the boot-up message you're seeing is not due to the "E-stop message..." always displayed on start-up due to the series-connected switches?

Offline jevs

•  315 315
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2019, 07:20:00 PM »
I think this is solved and likely what should be expected now with my setup.
Checking the "Charge pump runs in EStop" for the ESS seems to have gotten rid of the issue. I did clean up a few other settings as well while I was going over things with a fine tooth comb.

Now I get "E-Stop Cleared!" as my current message at boot up.

If you open the history, this is found, which I suspect would be considered normal for my setup:
-----ESS: Limit Switch triggered on
E-Stop cleared!
E-Stop condition!
E-Stop cleared!

Before it listed out many of the things using those limits and kinda random on the message it would end up on. It was always one of the ones related to the limit input and which one would come up last seemed somewhat random. Now it is always the same with a positive message at boot up. I think this is resolved.

Now if only someone could answer my question on how to setup an MPG for velocity mode.....that is the only thing left not resoled on my Mach4 upgrade at this point (until I start using it and want to change something).
For now I just set that setting to .01" incremental and 100% velocity unless someone posts a solution. I have emailed Machmotion, Artsoft, and posted here. No solution yet. Machmotion does not have a solution for it (and does not support my setup since it is Mach4 now). Artsoft first response was that they didn't seem to understand what I wanted to do for some reason. I am not sure if I will get another reply to my response or not.

Thanks!

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2019, 07:22:54 PM »
Noice!

Offline jevs

•  315 315
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2019, 09:26:57 PM »
So I discovered another little issue that also improved this issue a bit more as well......

Now I only this get at boot up.
-----ESS: Limit Switch triggered on
E-Stop condition!
E-Stop cleared!

You can read about it here:
https://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php?topic=41757.msg272906#msg272906