Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 11:11:43 AM

Author Topic: Mach4 Hobby Autotouchplate function  (Read 3478 times)

Mach4 Hobby Autotouchplate function
« on: January 15, 2019, 05:19:56 PM »
Hi everyone.  I have a CNC Router Parts 4896 Pro machine with the Plug and Play ESS electronics package.
I have everything working wonderfully in Mach3, including the touchplate and a diode laser for engraving.  I run Windows 7 and no issues whatsoever with Mach3.
I am trying to move to Mach4 for the improved laser functions. 
I am running into a few issues, the current main issue being Auto Zero functioning with edge finding.
In Mach3, the script will find the top of the material and the corner automatically (although it only uses the X+ and Y+ sides rather than finding the actual centre, as it has the width of the plate programmed in the script.)
However, in Mach 4, it will not work properly.  If I do a Z only, it works fine.  If I find the centre of the touchplate only, it works fine.
But when I try to find the bottom/left corner with Z, it will do a Z probe, retract, do a Y- move, make contact, then move Z to the touchplate and stop with an Error: Unexpected Probe Touch message.  The history file reports:
" Z axis is performing a touch move.ESS: Successful Probe0 Strike.  Probing finished.Z Axis Offset Set to: -1.1236220472441.RetractingY axis is performing a Level 2 prep move.ESS: Successful Probe0 Strike.  Probing finished.Z axis is performing a Level 1 prep move.ESS: Successful Probe0 Strike.  Probing finished.ERROR: Unexpected probe touch".
Given that the single functions work fine, I'm guessing there is some sort of error in the script, but I am not a programmer. 
Any help please?
Thanks
Mike Poling
Re: Mach4 Hobby Autotouchplate function
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2019, 09:40:58 PM »
 Due to the age of your post, I assume you figured out the script? Would you share your resolution? I’m having the same issue.
Have a CNC Router Parts touch plate, their newest model. I’m able to do the Z zero no issues. But their Web site has yet to support any Mach 4 script, just Mach 3. Maybe someone can point me toward a thread that will get flying straight.

Thanks, Larry
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2019, 10:21:52 PM »
Nope, all I got was crickets after this post.  The issue still remains.
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2019, 10:39:38 PM »
Have you reached out to CNC ROUTER PARTS?  Mach 4 has been out awhile, they need to get with it. Update the script!
Have been searching some other post on Mach 4 auto zero touch plates. Have no tried any yet.

Thanks, Larry
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2019, 10:41:36 PM »
I have.  Their last statement to me was that there would be Mach4 support “soon.”
That was 3 months ago.

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2019, 09:27:02 AM »
Are you two talking about the mcTouchOff module (as in the attached screenshot)?

If so, you need to make sure it is tuned (Retract distance, prep feed rate, Prep Distance, etc.) for your machine and touch plate. Also, it is a given that the distance from work Z, X and Y are all equal thicknesses (touch plate height) on your touch plate. Another thing to check is make sure your input is not noisy/bouncy. If you had debounce set it Mach3 then your probe input likely needs some filtering in Mach4 as well. I know filtering can be configured for each input on the ESS.
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline dws

•  24 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2019, 01:52:09 PM »
I don't think that the Mach4 TouchOff module is compatible with the CNC Router Parts Corner Finding Touch Plate. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsoHyPgaDzo Is there a way to configure the TouchOff module for this touchplate?

I made a coroutine for finding the lower left corner of the work with a 1/4" diameter bit with the Corner Finding Touch Plate. It works great for me. I then follow with a second coroutine that sets the Z height to zero at the spoil board with another fixed touch probe with each tool.

It would make the TouchOff module a little more useful if it could be made to work with the Corner Finding Touch Plate.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 01:55:18 PM by dws »
David

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2019, 12:55:05 PM »
I don't think that the Mach4 TouchOff module is compatible with the CNC Router Parts Corner Finding Touch Plate. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsoHyPgaDzo Is there a way to configure the TouchOff module for this touchplate?

I made a coroutine for finding the lower left corner of the work with a 1/4" diameter bit with the Corner Finding Touch Plate. It works great for me. I then follow with a second coroutine that sets the Z height to zero at the spoil board with another fixed touch probe with each tool.

It would make the TouchOff module a little more useful if it could be made to work with the Corner Finding Touch Plate.

The TouchOff module could be adapted to work with pretty much anything. Or someone could write a module from scratch specifically for any touch plate or probe or combination of. But the TouchOff module was never intended to be a do all, throw anything at it anyone can dream up and it just works kind of thing. It was written to use as is and/or as a known good working example others can review when writing their own custom module.

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2019, 09:08:41 PM »
I have configured it to the specs of the touchplate.  I know the touchplate can be made to work, as it is simply accepting input from touching each side of the plate and reading the input signal.  Heck, a homemade touch plate would work if you had exact spec on it. 
The issue is the script self terminates with the error I mentioned above.  If it can find the centre of the touchplate and the Z individually, but fails on the combined part of the script, wouldn't that suggest the error is in the script itself?
Mike

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2019, 09:52:53 PM »
I have configured it to the specs of the touchplate.  I know the touchplate can be made to work, as it is simply accepting input from touching each side of the plate and reading the input signal.  Heck, a homemade touch plate would work if you had exact spec on it. 
The issue is the script self terminates with the error I mentioned above.  If it can find the centre of the touchplate and the Z individually, but fails on the combined part of the script, wouldn't that suggest the error is in the script itself?
Mike

Nope, "Unexpected probe touch" means the probe touched when it shouldn't. Or more accurately, the probe input changed to active state during a non-probing move. If the probe is actually touching something when this error occurs you might need to adjust the touch off settings. If it's not touching something you need to check your probe. Could be an electrical noise problem or bouncy contacts in the probe. Clicking help in the touch off dialog will open the related doc. At the end of the doc there is a link to a video. Both the doc and video may help.