Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 06:01:41 AM

Author Topic: Ethernet smoothstepper connected to a USB/C port to ethernet adapter  (Read 2649 times)

I could use some advice for my stupidity.

I had an unfortunate accident and tore out the ethernet cable from my laptop, very violently I might add,  and now it doesn't work. The laptop is new and so is the ESS so I was hoping to still use both by using a just purchased USB/C to ethernet adapter. However, I'm really not sure how to get them to communicate. I tried to use the Warp9 USB driver but that didn't work. On the Warp9 site they say it can be done but it's not real clear how. I may be doing something wrong in the install. I had the ESS working flawlessly until I ripped the cord out of the PC. I sure would appreciate any advice to help me get up and running again.

Thanks,

Rick 

Offline reuelt

•  520 520
    • View Profile
Re: Ethernet smoothstepper connected to a USB/C port to ethernet adapter
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2019, 06:22:53 AM »
IF "laptop is new"  - why not get an RMA and send it back for warranty repairs.

BUT,
I do not believe that unplugging the Ethernet cable can damage the Ethernet port that easily.

Go to control panel | device manager  and delete the device driver for the Ethernet.

Reboot
Go to BIOS and disable the Ethernet port
Reboot to windows
Reboot, this time enable the Ethernet port again.
Let windows reinstall the driver automatically.
You may need to use wifi to download the driver from Internet

Try setup of Warp9 ESS again.

If everything still fail, try connecting ESS to a router and connect to it using WIFI.
My advise.
avoid USB - it will be an "antennae" for NOISE and cause instability.
"the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord"

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2019, 06:52:49 AM »
I could use some advice for my stupidity.

I had an unfortunate accident and tore out the ethernet cable from my laptop, very violently I might add,  and now it doesn't work. The laptop is new and so is the ESS so I was hoping to still use both by using a just purchased USB/C to ethernet adapter. However, I'm really not sure how to get them to communicate. I tried to use the Warp9 USB driver but that didn't work. 

You still use the ESS plugin, as it's still an ethernet connection, not a USB connection.
Just make sure that windows is seeing the adapter, and it's working correctly.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline thosj

•  532 532
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2019, 08:25:54 AM »
First you need to get the PC to recognize the USB-C adapter. It might just be recognized or it might need a driver.

Once the PC sees the adapter, use the Configurator from the warp9 web site following it's instructions on the site.

Or ask on the warp9 site, Andy will get you going.
--
Tom