Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:08:36 PM

Author Topic: V-Carve Desktop Trial and Mach 3 Demo  (Read 4461 times)

V-Carve Desktop Trial and Mach 3 Demo
« on: January 05, 2019, 04:44:14 PM »
I just purchased a sidewinder CNC with an unbinding travel of X 21.0” , Y 36.0” .  I have several issues. Two in particular.  First, I set up a demo project within V-Carve to a Datum Position of X0, Y0.  The project displays centered and ready to cut at the home position 0,0 on my machine.  I save the project to Post Processor Mach 2/3 Arcs (inch) (*.txt) as everywhere stated in the forums.  When I load into Mach 3 the project displays 1/8th of a corner section in the upper right corner of the work space.  Reviewing the code the start point appears as N200G00X8.4136Y6.1064Z1.000.  Obviously not 0,0,0 as set up in V-Carve.  When I run the program, only that section cuts. I have selected every corner and center of the starting position under job setup in V-Carve and all that does is move the project around the outside of the cutting window or dented, but still only shows that small corner of the project.  Never get to see the full project in Mach 3.

Second, I tried the roadrunner demo in Mach 3, which shows up perfectly in position at X0, Y0.  When I run the roadrunner demo it will only cut to line 492 and the system stops.  When I try to press start it does not finish.  Ref back to issue 1, when I try doing a dry run on the portion that displays the system stops after completing that portion and the remaining gcode disappears from the screen.

I am NEW to CNC.  I took a class and have basic knowledge along with all the tutorial videos online.  I studied and set my machine up exactly as Dave Gatton did, really only after I figured out all the settings on my own did I find that I was setting everything up correctly per the videos.  I just cannot figure out how to get the above issues resolved.

I have not purchased either program yet as I need to make sure they work together.  I have heard nothing but good things about both, and am not sure why I am having such issues.

V/r

Jeremy

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
Re: V-Carve Desktop Trial and Mach 3 Demo
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2019, 05:33:01 PM »
1) The Mach3 demo is limited to 500 lines of g-code.

2) The start point is not necessarily the same as the origin. It's hard to say what you are seeing by what you are describing, but it's probably a minor misunderstanding of the process, compounded by the limitations of the Mach3 demo.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2019, 05:26:19 PM »
Thank you Gerry.  I am frustrated with nothing working properly between V-Carve and Mach 3.. I am starting from scratch since everything within the software was set up by someone else......  

Here are my new issues:  

1.  I have a Sidewinder CNC
          2.  The Control box is a Xylotex Ver 4.03.  It has four processors,  1 for each motor, and two parallel ports.  The 1st port closest to the control board is the one that was working with Mach 3, and is the one plugged into the back of the computer via parallel connection.  Computer is running XP.
          3.  Four motors:  Xylotex 23H276-28-4B 2.8A/Phase 1.9N.m

I have installed Mach 4 Demo and need to set up the system from scratch.

Under Device manager I see Mach 3 Pulseing Engine (Mach 3 Driver).  This was working before I uninstalled Mach 3.  Now it has a yellow caution stating its not working.  I guess I need to install the proper driver for Mach 4.  Where do I get this driver?  I have looked everywhere I can think of and I am not sure if it is already part of Mach 4 as a plugin or not.

Reviewing the Mach 4 install guide, It states to install the proper plug in and configure.  I do not know which plug in to select.  Please help with step by step to get initial setup for control box to be seen by Mach 4.  Setting up the motors and everything else seems fairly simple.  I found a video tutorial online that seems simple enough.  I just need to be able to get Mach 4 and the Computer to see the CNC and each other.

v/r

Jeremy
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 05:36:29 PM by Whitetiger28th »
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2019, 05:50:50 PM »
What is the Mach4 Parallel Port Legacy Plug-in (Required for Parallel Breakout Board)?  Is this the driver I am looking for?  If so, It appears that I must purchase in order to verify that Mach 4/Demo will work on my system????? Please help :)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 05:58:57 PM by Whitetiger28th »
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2019, 06:49:36 PM »
Hi,
yes the Legacy Parallel Port plugin is indeed required to use a parallel port with Mach4, its also called Darwin.....I'm guessing
the final 'evolution of the parallel port'.

The guy (Art Fennerty) who wrote the original parallel port driver also wrote Darwin, and he pretty much came out of retirement to do it.
He requested and is entitled to a licence fee. Art has made it plain that the Darwin plugin will never be fully featured, stuff like lathe threading and THC will never be
implemented. It was meant as a cheap way for people to get basic Mach4 operation.

Mach4 was always intended to be operated with an external motion controller which provides the real-time support that no Windows PC can deliver.
You might say that mach4 is 'native' to an external motion controller.

You have several choices:
1) Go back to Mach3 and a parallel port
     pros- Cheap fully featured motion control
     cons- Restricted number of PCs and operating systems will work with the parallel port driver, Mach3 development has ceased five years ago
2) Buy a Darwin licence
    pros- Cheap way to get into Mach4
    cons- Limited real-time function support, the cost ($25), the same PC/OS restrictions as apply to mach3 and parallel port
3) Buy an external motion controller like a SmoothStepper a UC 100 or UC300
    pros- Experience the true power of Mach4 with a wide range of compatible PCs
    cons- Cost from about $120USD for the UC100 to about $410 for a SmoothStepper and high quality MB2 breakout board, or go all the way with a Hicon Integra, $600USD

Note that if you download and install Mach4 and stick with the Sim(ulator) motion plugin it ships with (don't install any 'real' motion plugin) then
it will run in Demo mode indefinitely. That means the files will load, the toolpath will be drawn, you can write your own Lua scripts an modify the GUI
to your liking but the machine cannot run....its just a PC only simulation. If you install a motion plugin the files will load without limit, the toolpath will be drawn
without limit but the machine will run for only six minutes before it needs to be re-started until its licenced.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2019, 08:37:02 PM »
Craig,

Thank you.  I purchased the plug in prior to getting your post and asked for a refund.  I am going with the UC100.  Hope it works :)  ON order.  You say my tool paths should run on Mach 4 in demo without machine movement.  I am going to check that out.  PLEASE LET IT WORK.....  I have been messing with Mach 3 and V-Carve demo's for a week with no luck! 

Jeremy
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2019, 08:45:40 PM »
Hi,
CNC can and does try your patience from time to time.

You say my tool paths should run on Mach 4 in demo without machine movement.  I am going to check that out.  PLEASE LET IT WORK.....

Yes that is correct, if there is no active motion plugin installed ie there is no possibility of machine operation there is no need to impose any
time limits while in Demo. I had Mach4 installed and had been experimenting with it for some months before I took the plunge and licenced it
and during that time while I could not use it to move my machine I could learn to write code etc.

Craig
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2019, 08:53:14 PM »
YEAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!  HUGE BREAK THROUGH!! FIGURED OUT WHY MACH 3 WAS FRUSTRATING ME.......  Mach 4 shows the entire project and started cutting in the same place Mach 3 started.  Was not the corner section of the project.. It was right in the middle of the project and the first tool path then would stop.  Probably because it was demo, and on a small window.  Mach 4 has a much larger window and the entire project shows up.  V-Carve works perfectly with Mach 4 and I am sure Mach 3... I plan to purchase Mach 4 :)  Just waiting on the UC100 to show up now to make it all come together.  I guess if I don't get a refund, at least I will be able to see if the plug in works and get started sooner on my project.

:) ::) :o ;D :)
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2019, 09:17:15 PM »
Hi,
good news, the 500 line limit  can screw up your visualization and Mach4 doesn't impose that type of limitation.

I bought a Darwin licence and was planning on using it as a stepping stone from Mach3 to Mach4 but I bought a Ethernet SmoothStepper
and once I set that up I had no need of the Darwin licence, I've never used it.

Craig
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2019, 10:01:08 PM »
Two issues came up with Mach 4..... I tried running the program through and over half way the computer stopped responding.  Not sure if its the Demo or the computer.  Tried it a second time with the same result.  Could not get task manager to close out the program the second time.  Program not responding.  Figured it might have something to do with XP, so loaded Mach 4 on Windows 10 machine.  When opened Mach 4 kept getting errors stating that the shared library was not available.  Reinstalled Mach 4 on same machine, got same error.  Uninstalled, downloaded a new copy and installed............Failed to load shared library 'mcLua.m4pw', McModbus.m4pw, mcRegfile.m4pq, mcSerial.m4pw, ShuttlePro.m4pw, and Sim.m4pw.   Along with that, I can load a gcode, but it will not go through the toolpath as it was on the other computer.  X,Y,Z will not move.  The only thing that is showing any movement is the Cycle Time.  Any known help?

Jeremy