Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 09:03:37 AM

Author Topic: 3d printer  (Read 964 times)

3d printer
« on: December 04, 2018, 02:29:33 PM »
Ethernet smoother and Mach3, how can we use this to control a external AC inverter that could be used to control the speed of a floor mount extruder?
Thanks
Re: 3d printer
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 12:30:29 AM »
Hi,
the ESS requires a breakout board. If you choose a compatible breakout board you will have  an analogue voltage (0-10V)
that would ordinarily control the spindle VFD but could instead control your inverter.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 07:38:21 AM »
Thanks. Actually the machine has a EthernetSmoother that has a breakout board and a 0-10v signal that says it has a dedicated on board 0-10v signal that can be used to control a spindle.
Being new to CNC or 3D printer machines myself, we have another person who uses a software package to create a 3D image of something we need to make on Hass CNC machines.  After the 3d image is created he downloads that into the Hass machine.

With what we are looking at trying to do now, he will still be creating the 3D image but at the moment he plans to use a program called Slic3r to create the G code and then download into the EtherSmooth Stepper.  My question is since he planes to use Slic3r which appears to be geared more toward 3d printers how will it, or how does it know when the program finishes slicing the 3d image to create the G code to control the on/off and speed of a spindle?

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 11:50:01 AM »
Hi,

My question is since he planes to use Slic3r which appears to be geared more toward 3d printers

This is more a question of the capability of Slic3r than it is about Mach or the ESS.

Most CADCAM prpgrams have a post processor which converts the raw Gcode file produced by the CAM
program to the Gcode 'dialect' used by the target machine. May I suggest you do some research into Slic3r
to find whether it has a post and what is involved in modifying a post to suit Mach/ESS.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 08:41:28 AM »
Thanks
New to this, background is in PLC controls and design but very interested in learning as much as possible.
Another person in our group creates our 3D files and then uses Mastercam and he used Slicer to create the G code since we would be using a extruder he thought that was the right package to use. He then downloaded the G code file into the SmoothStepper control board that is used in the CNC kit machine we was testing that has the SmoothStepper and was running Mach3.
Went to Wasp9 web site and saw some software packages they recommend for CNC type machines and saw that Solid Works has a free add on.
Autodesk HSMXpress software is a 2.5 axis CAM plug in designed to work seamlessly with SOLIDWORKS that if he looks into using a software to create his Gcode files such as this and then download it into smooth stepper and have a reference to a Spindle we could use that 0-10 volt output that is capable with the CNC kit Electronics on the machine we was testing.
Still doing a lot of reading and trying to learn.  Thanks for any suggestions and comments.