Hello Guest it is April 17, 2024, 11:41:32 PM

Author Topic: lathe speed range in Mach4  (Read 1014 times)

lathe speed range in Mach4
« on: December 05, 2018, 02:26:09 AM »
I have a lathe with a mechanical gearbox.
in Mach4 I saw a table where you can configure the speed ranges.
example.
how can I tell Mach4 that I am in the 4 range ??
as a result, at command M3 S100 analog output for VFD must be 10 volts.
thank you.

Offline thosj

•  532 532
    • View Profile
Re: lathe speed range in Mach4
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 08:33:16 AM »
It seems you have that part right, but I didn't go to my machine and compare. Go to the Machine Diagnostics tab and select Range. then do an S90 M3 in MDI or type in a speed and start the spindle with the button on the screen. I do this all the time with a Bridgeport pulley head, so I added some items to the lower right blank area of the Wx4 screenset to have Pulley (Range, Mach3 used Pulley!!) and a box for what the current Range top speed is, and also a box for the actual speed since I have a sensor on my spindle. I have a VFD and Pulleys.

One other thing, Mach4 doesn't remember the speed, session to session, like Mach3 did if I remember correctly, it starts up at 0. If you try to do an M3 or hit the button to start the spindle without first entering a speed, either in MDI or typing in the Speed box, the spindle won't run!!
--
Tom
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 11:41:59 AM »
Hi,
Can you add images?
It would be of much help!

Offline thosj

•  532 532
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 01:32:04 PM »
I'm not sure what you want images OF, but here goes.

In the upper left, click the Machine Diagnostics tab. Click in Range and type what you want. Then Mach will sent 10v to your VFD when you command S100 M3.

If you meant how do I have my screen edited so I don't have to go to the Machine Diagnostics tab, look in the lower right to see the things I've added there. Pulley is Range, just a text box and a box to enter Pulley (Range). Pulley Max is the top speed of selected Pulley (Range). The top box above SRO% shows spindle index generated actual speed which might or might not be the same as commanded speed depending on how linear your 0-10v output is.

My screen has been edited some more, this is from my test computer which doesn't run a machine, so just for fiddling.

Tom
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 01:35:56 PM by thosj »
--
Tom
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 01:51:54 AM »
Thank you very much!
you have been very clear!
as soon as possible I try the lathe, but I think that it is already good!