Hello Guest it is March 18, 2024, 11:00:26 PM

Author Topic: random Z plunge issue  (Read 940 times)

random Z plunge issue
« on: December 03, 2018, 12:21:43 PM »
ok long story short I've been using mach 3 since July on a new cnc router without issue until a few weeks ago when it has started randomly plunging the Z axis through work piece into the table breaking bits and trashing the sheet . i have ran it for months 8-10 hrs a day without issue till just recently, running the same exact programs from before the issue started. i havent changed a single setting other than the rapid speeds between cuts . also if it makes a difference i am doing all my designing and g-code generation with V-carve9.0
 any help would be greatly appreciated ......this is costing me a fortune in bits and wood!
Re: random Z plunge issue
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2018, 12:40:51 PM »
Hi,
I would guess that it is missing steps and/or being affected by electrical noise.

Electrical noise can and often does come and go, usually as a result of some very subtle change, maybe a wire shifting or similar.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2018, 02:04:45 PM »
  it has started randomly plunging the Z axis through work piece into the table breaking bits and trashing the sheet . 

Another possibility is mechanical slippage in the Z axis drive components.
The slide mechanism can get gummy over time requiring more effort to raise the motor assembly. This along with an increase in rapid speed and/or acceleration can overpower the pulley or shaft coupling set-screws. Might pay to double check the mechanical aspects as well.
Russ
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2018, 01:55:49 PM »
Ok after  a lengthy phone conversation with the company who sold me the machine and some switching of cables we have apparently  rectified the situation and have ran two solid days without a glitch ! Thank you for the info