Hello Guest it is April 17, 2024, 11:26:35 PM

Author Topic: Mach 4 probing, tool height, and work offset learning resources  (Read 1033 times)

Mach 4 probing, tool height, and work offset learning resources
« on: November 21, 2018, 10:07:15 AM »
Mach 4 and HiCON Integra:

I'm brand new to this and am having trouble finding resources to learn about probing, tool height, and work offsets in Mach 4.

I have my touch probe and touch plate wired and they are G31 and G31.1 respectively. They both illuminate in machine diagnostics when triggered.

From what I can see, there is two interfaces probing, the TouchOff UI and the Probing tab. What is the difference between these?

Can someone help me with the basic order of operations in Mach to set up work offsets and set tool heights?

Right now I am:
1.) Referencing all axis, table all the way to the left (X-), all the way to the rear (Y-) and all the way up (Z+), as these are where my endstops are. Soft limits are set and enabled.

2.) Probe Z with my touch probe to set a tool 1 height? I've tried this with both the TouchOff UI and the Probing tab, and in both cases something is wrong. In the TouchOff UI, if I "Zero Z", I get an LUA error and my Z DRO value is set to an overflowed negative value. In the Probing tab, if I select "Measure Z" my Z axis will start moving in the positive direction (up), no matter if I set the "move" distance to be negative or positive. No idea what is going on here.

3.) If I get Z probing to work, I would assume I would move into probing X and Y of my work piece and store these to G54? Using the TouchOff UI or Probing tab?

4.) Change to a cutting tool, then use the touchoff UI to set a tool height using my touch plate?

5.) cycle start? set tool height on each tool change?

Thanks for any guidance.

Offline thosj

•  532 532
    • View Profile
Re: Mach 4 probing, tool height, and work offset learning resources
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2018, 12:59:48 PM »
Kind of looking forward to when/why to use the Touch UI vs the Probe tab.
--
Tom