Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:17:22 AM

Author Topic: Spindle Orientation  (Read 3145 times)

Spindle Orientation
« on: October 17, 2018, 08:50:01 PM »
So on the Vital System website the HiCON Integra supports spindle orientation. 

How does one do this with an ac motor with a VFD? 
Chad Byrd
Re: Spindle Orientation
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2018, 06:57:49 AM »
Very carefully. LOL

All kidding aside, If you don't have  a servo spindle it is much more difficult to do.
All the one I have seen have a mechanical stop and bump the spindle until the it hits the stop. Then it is orientated.

Mike
We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2018, 08:43:40 AM »
Mike,
That's exactly what I have on 3 machines.   A mechanical stop?  Lobe on the spindle to Orient at low speed.   I do have a machine with a servo spindle.   It orients internally in the servo drive, all I do I send the drive a signal.   
I was curious to see if Vital Systems had a different way of orienting with a VFD.
Chad Byrd
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2018, 05:10:31 AM »
The mechanical stop is called a "shot pin" IIRC on my Bridgeport. It shoots in when needed. The spindle is jogged at low speed into it and when this is sensed, it stops jogging and the spindle is orientated. A disc brake can be applied at the same time to hold the spindle in place while the tool is changed.

Mike
We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2018, 08:03:56 AM »
Yep.   I made one of those for a Haas and a fadal we have had something similar already on it.
Chad Byrd