Hello Guest it is April 23, 2024, 04:10:21 PM

Author Topic: Difficulty Loading Mach3  (Read 1238 times)

Difficulty Loading Mach3
« on: October 20, 2018, 04:44:09 PM »
Hi. I am a newbie to the CNC router arena. Purchased a Chinese 3040 router on ebay. Very pleased with the hardware and have had it run on CNC-USB software but I would prefer Mach3.  Have had serious difficulty (and failed) to get the supplied pirate copy (I assume) of the Mach3 software to work, kept getting "Error starting after prep" message. (Loaded and unloaded it several times) The software did open OK, I was able to set machine parameters as advised on many YouTube videos and the digits moved as if the machine was jogging but the signal was not replicated in the machine.  Not totally happy about messing with the supplied pirate software anyway, I opted to download from Artsoft the demo copy of Mach3 with the good intention of buying the most recent version  once I confirmed I could load it satisfactorily. To my disappointment, even with the CNC machine completely disconnected, when I go to open up the Mach3 Mill icon, my computer closes down and goes to safe operating mode. When I remove the demo software everything on my computer works as normal. I am at a loss as to my next steps, all checks of computer seem OK and the parallel port is confirmed as working OK. I am running Windows 7 32bit. Anyone had a similar experience or Any ideas or suggestions to get me going would be appreciated. Trev

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,199 9,199
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Difficulty Loading Mach3
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2018, 01:59:15 AM »
I presume you are using Win7 or Win10.

There are a couple of threads at the start of this section which detail some problems and the solution.

Hope this helps.
PEACE
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2018, 02:05:56 AM »
Hi,
I'm confused....you say:
had it run on CNC-USB software but

and then later say:
computer seem OK and the parallel port is confirmed as working OK

Do you have a USB connected external motion controller or do you have a parallel port breakout board?

You say also:
I am running Windows 7 32bit.
Have you read about the problems people have encountered with Microsoft updates to Windows 7 causing grief for Mach3 users?
It may be you have to 'unwind' several of the latest updates...I'm uncertain if there is a workaround or fix.
Alternately go to Mach4 but your Chinese controller will not do the business with Mach4....you will need a US or European made
controller like a SmoothStepper or a UC300.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2018, 04:31:48 AM »
Hi Guys. Thanks for the replies. Craig to clarify, I can run the software CNC-USB fine using the USB plug in computer which connects to a parallel port on breakout board, (lead supplied with machine)  I also have a parallel port on computer and using a different lead (Parallel port computer - Parallel port on breakout board) I am trying to get the Mach3 running.
Trev
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2018, 04:57:29 AM »
Hi,
alright, but have you selected the parallel port driver or the USB plugin as active motion controller?

The latest Microsoft updates for Window 7 have interfered with the operation of then parallel port. There are one or two threads about it...
I recommend a search.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'