Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:37:25 AM

Author Topic: tool offsets to run gang tooling to use mill as lathe  (Read 1115 times)

tool offsets to run gang tooling to use mill as lathe
« on: November 10, 2018, 05:50:30 PM »
I have Mach3. I would like to have the same setup as is shown in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYxYEaLFJyA

He wrote that he is using the turning screenset and he wrote a custom tool change macro that applies a work offset for the appropriate tool.

I am trying to figure out how and where to input the tool offsets in Mach3 to accomplish this.

I learned an aweful lot about how to set up offsets in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5xjzFy8vEY

The 2nd video above uses a different controller than Mach3 but there's got to be a similar way to do this in Mach3 as well I just have no idea where to start.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: tool offsets to run gang tooling to use mill as lathe
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2018, 06:44:11 AM »
jc2010,

Here are some thoughts for your consideration.

1. Use the master tool concept since the master tool sets the basis for all the other tools.
    The tool table conatains all relevant information for any of the tools, in particular,
     the X and Z tool offsets. Note that all tools relate to the master tool but all tools relate to        
     each other. Most code today is precompensated. Do not use use both front or rear tool
     post in the tool table ( If i recall rear uses G55 WORK OFFSET).

2. Populate the tool table via probing and note that probed values are only as accurate  as
    your mill system. You are interested  in the controlled point since that is the basis for
    precompensated code. Make a tool setter to define a reference for the probing It would be    
   used in the mill's quill. You need the ability to touch off to 4 surfaces of a tool setter. Cheap    
    and easy to make. On offset adjustment to a probed value is very handy post initial probing
    of tool location for drills, reamers, etc.

3. Understand the coordinate systems and how to use them to advantage and in particular
    TOOL offsets and WORK offsets. The only time i use a different WORK offset on   the  
    lathe is when a duplicate part will be made using  the same code used for the first  /
    original part.

4. A custom screen set with appropriate VB scripting is required and takes time to create.
    Once done, life can become rather simple to get machining done. KISS applies.

FWIW,    thats my nickle......................

RICH
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 06:48:22 AM by RICH »