Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 11:37:31 AM

Author Topic: Recommended PC Configuration  (Read 9318 times)

Re: Recommended PC Configuration
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2006, 01:16:56 AM »
Hi all,
So I've been reading this thread with interest as I'm trying to salvage an older PII PC.
I'm seeing by this thread that it's a hopeless cause, right?

I haven't purchased Mach yet, and I'm still trying to follow what the relationship is between
CPU speed and machine performance.

Is there a way to calculate feed rate according to CPU speed. I'm asking because maybe my
setup is sufficient for my needs.

My thinking is if I'm shooting for 50 ipm Feed, and if someone were to say "your PII ain't going to
get no 120 ipm, but it may get 35-50 imp." I'd be happy.

Is this all there is to the CPU speed? or does it really get squirrelly with a slower CPU?

Thanks

Evan

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2006, 06:54:48 AM »
I would not go lower than about 1 GHz ... I have one running in the shop and it has been doing a great job!
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2006, 09:09:36 AM »
I extensively used the new computer last weekend, and all now appears well running at 45000 without any special optimization. 
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2006, 12:38:53 AM »
I've been able to get XP installed on 700 meg.  This is running on a machine with a 1Gig CF card.  No hard drive.  Surprisingly fast too for a CF card.

I've also been running XP embedded, but having some issues with driver integration.   This version should be well under 200 meg.  The only draw back is, no IE, no Shell.... Just Mach and Notepad.

I'm coming to the conclusion that with CF cards in the 1 gig flavor under $50..  Maybe I will stick with installs of XP on a diet.  They have all the functions of XP, but no fat.  Runs Mach3 wonderfully, and installed inside the control box. 
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2006, 02:50:33 AM »
Hey Borris! Whatever your talking about I think I want to check it out. Can you elaborate on how you integrate a CF card? For example how would you drive a monitor?
I'm in the process of building my control box (using a rackmount case) and I love the idea of enclosing everything in one
box.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2006, 03:00:18 AM by bpmufx »
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2006, 10:40:55 PM »
http://www.viatech.com/en/initiatives/spearhead/mini-itx/

Mini ITX, fanless motherboard is where it starts.  OR, you can go the less expensive way:

Use a small form factor Mini ATX, (biostar) motherboard, and then buy a "CF to IDE adapter".  This adapter has a slot for a CF card, but has regular IDE connections.  This makes your CF card look like a hard drive.  If it's 2 gig or more you can install XP directly on it.  If it's smaller, you will need to install it first on a regular hard drive then mirror, ghost, that hard drive to the CF drive installed as a slave.  Once the partition is copied over you can remove the hard drive and install the CF drive as the master.

There are some programs out there like www.litepc.com.  That will allow you to pear down the XP foot print to about 700 meg.

Having everything in one place is really nice, however the con is that everything is tight.  Replacement of parts isn't so fun.