Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:15:32 PM

Author Topic: Soigeneris Fault light and trouble getting Mach 4 configured for stdr-4c  (Read 2640 times)

Re: Soigeneris Fault light and trouble getting Mach 4 configured for stdr-4c
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2018, 08:41:54 AM »
Thanks Tom.  I read through and followed the setup instructions when I installed the ESS.  Ill go back and review to see if I missed something. 

thanks
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2018, 10:37:50 AM »
ok after digging around I found some guidance on the fault light.  I am totally new to this so forgive how basic my understanding is, but maybe it will help another newbie. 

Apparently the stdr-4c is a controller that uses a gecko g540 as the actual motor controller.  The fault light is part of the G540.  Im not sure what revision I have but looking at the Specs on the Gecko website I was able to get some info on the fault light,  im going to attempt to trouble shoot as they suggest. Ill report back.

Offline thosj

•  532 532
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2018, 11:05:34 AM »
I didn't do a LOT of research, but what I found on a STDR-4C shows a USB SmoothStepper inside, and yes, a Gecko G540. So from this I'm guessing you either have a version of the STDR-4C, which seems to NOT be available now, with an ESS or you've put an Ethernet SmoothStepper in the box in place of the USS. I guess in either case, this is why the manufacturer can't help and/or why their plugin doesn't work. Also everything I found on the STDR-4C shows Mach3.

If this is a customized machine, you'd be best off just following thru the Warp9 setup and create a profile FROM SCRATCH. That would get the ESS working, but you'd have to figure out things specific to your machine like home/limit switches and the spindle and perhaps even ports and pins for the motors. Perhaps you could load the manufacturers profile and check in the ESS and Mach4 setup and jot down things like home and limit switches and stuff and manually enter these in your now custom profile.

You might have to either start with the manufacturers profile and fix it or start from scratch and figure everything out.

The machine manufacturers web site seems pretty professional, so one would HOPE that their support would help you get it figured out. Unless you bought the machine used or in parts or a basic machine without the controller and you're setting up the controller, in which case the manufacturer would be stuck, too. There's a lot to know here but there ARE resources to help. Here is only one and because we don't know your machine setup, it's hard for us to help!!

So the G540 docs, the ESS setup stuff, and Google/patience. Hang in there, you have what seems like a nice machine so the end result will be worth the effort.

Like I tell my grandkids, if it was easy, anybody could do it!!

Tom
--
Tom
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2018, 11:29:22 AM »
Thanks for the encouragement Tom.  Ill get it figured out.  I bought this a "complete kit."  I didn't come with manuals for anything,  it didn't even come with a parts list or assembly instructions! I'm amazed I got this far!  I think I've made a breakthrough  but we will see.  Iam creating several small profiles that each only explore one motor or function so I can learn enough to build a complete one.  The company has been extremely unhelpful and I still haven't received all of the parts.  Ugggg

I didn't do a LOT of research, but what I found on a STDR-4C shows a USB SmoothStepper inside, and yes, a Gecko G540. So from this I'm guessing you either have a version of the STDR-4C, which seems to NOT be available now, with an ESS or you've put an Ethernet SmoothStepper in the box in place of the USS. I guess in either case, this is why the manufacturer can't help and/or why their plugin doesn't work. Also everything I found on the STDR-4C shows Mach3.

If this is a customized machine, you'd be best off just following thru the Warp9 setup and create a profile FROM SCRATCH. That would get the ESS working, but you'd have to figure out things specific to your machine like home/limit switches and the spindle and perhaps even ports and pins for the motors. Perhaps you could load the manufacturers profile and check in the ESS and Mach4 setup and jot down things like home and limit switches and stuff and manually enter these in your now custom profile.

You might have to either start with the manufacturers profile and fix it or start from scratch and figure everything out.

The machine manufacturers web site seems pretty professional, so one would HOPE that their support would help you get it figured out. Unless you bought the machine used or in parts or a basic machine without the controller and you're setting up the controller, in which case the manufacturer would be stuck, too. There's a lot to know here but there ARE resources to help. Here is only one and because we don't know your machine setup, it's hard for us to help!!

So the G540 docs, the ESS setup stuff, and Google/patience. Hang in there, you have what seems like a nice machine so the end result will be worth the effort.

Like I tell my grandkids, if it was easy, anybody could do it!!

Tom
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2018, 07:24:44 PM »
Hi,
it seems entirely likely that the ESS output/input pin numbers will follow the G540
parallel input plug numbering.

Thus, pins 1 & 2 for the X axis, pins 3 & 4 for the Y axis etc.

Have you tried setting up the ESS plugin with these pin numberings?

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2018, 01:21:23 PM »
Ok! were in Business!  I have motion!  What ive figured out:  I have a Soigeneris STDR-4C Ethernet smooth stepper.  That is built using a Gecko G540, yes it uses the same pinout.   I downloaded the manual and read through it and had my charge pump switch "on."  I followed the setup instructions, switching that switch off and BAM ive got motion!

Thanks guys!