Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:25:40 PM

Author Topic: Noob here  (Read 4991 times)

Noob here
« on: August 27, 2018, 11:50:13 AM »
Hello, running on a little Snapmaker and is bitten by the carve/milling part of it which it does really good... Now i wanna get a bigger but still hobby machine and manly do relief in wood, but ofc doing more 'normal' smaller job in aluminium stuff Fusion 360..

I found a ok'ish china machine https://www.ebay.com/itm/223052779970?ul_noapp=true,, that is more then i need, almost.

I pretty sure the software is a 'free max 500 lines' version, ok with me, i am gonna buy a Marc 3 licens anyway, no 'false' software on my PC..

The stuff i do in Fusion 360 and Estlcam, will it work directly in Marc3 or do i have to convert the Gcode manually.

Is there any future buying this CNC not thinking quality/buildup, but software comparability....

I read about it,,, i know

Must be older 32bit windows and pc must have a parallel port.

I do enjoy my litte snapmaker, but it just to slow using the small tools, ie 1.5mm endmill to face of just to.....

Re: Noob here
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2018, 01:14:01 PM »
I check out my old PC,,, its a Win 10 32 bits, and intel duo processer is a 64bit.  That should run with Marc3 right.
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2018, 01:55:31 PM »
The machine you point to is USB. No parallel port required. Fusion generates G-code and any program with CAM in the name should also, that’s the purpose of cam. A cam program is a good way to learn how to read G-code. Generate some code, load it to your machine and put Mach 3 in single step mode. Read each line and look up what the machine should do. Then press start and the line will execute and show you what it does. You don’t really need to write G-code by hand any more but reading it is still inportant in avoiding problems. CNCs are completely stupid. Tell it to crash into your part, clamp, end stops, and it WILL do or die!
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2018, 04:18:52 PM »
Thx,,, i get that part, but did not know Marc3 can step one at time,  i never seen/run Marc3 my self..

But will Marc run on my older PC, the operating system is 32 bit tho Win10, but in the sales lines it states it will only run on 32 bit older Windows, even if it is usb driven?

And why is there a parallel port on it to if it is USB driven?

So many question, i am can se the forrest for all the trees..
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2018, 05:00:53 PM »
Hmm, can i not edit my post?

I wonder, course other place on this forum, mods days you can  ONLY run Mach3 via parallel port, yet others say i can usb and therefor windows 32/64 bit, parallel port or not dos'ent matter.
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2018, 05:29:42 PM »
Hi,
Mach's parallel port will only work on 32 bit Windows 7 or earlier.

If you have an external motion controller (USB or Ethernet) it will work on just about any Windows PC.

Start with telling us exactly what PC you have and what OS you have installed.
Then tell us the make and model of the control PCB you have.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2018, 05:30:54 PM »
Hi,
you can edit your post for only a few minutes after you've posted it. Thereafter you can't.

Craig
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2018, 07:43:46 PM »
Hi,
having a closer look at your control box and it has both a parallel port AND a USB.

I suspect that it is a parallel port controller but uses a USB cable for the power supply to the Breakout
Board (BoB). That is quite a common arrangement with Cheap Chinese gear.

If thats the case then I think Windows 10 will not run the port. You say that your version of Window 10
is 32 bit, I've never seen one, nor have I heard of anyone who has run a parallel port with it.

You may be up for an external motion controller like a SmoothStepper or a UC100 or UC300 to get your
machine running with your Windows 10 PC. You could alternately install Window 7 32 bit which is known to be
good with Mach's parallel port.

Craig

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2018, 08:00:47 PM »
When you buy a cheap chinese machine, you really don't know what you are going to get.

My guess is that it is a USB controller, and it actually will work with 64 bit versions of Windows 10. But that's just a guess.
Quite often, the Chinese seem to cut and paste descriptions from one item to the next, and they are often incorrect.

Since it says USB control, you could send it right back at their expense if it's not.

Having said that, be prepared to at some point replace all the electronics in that box, as they are known to fail quite often. I've also seen lots of reports of the spindle control not working.

And lastly, the machine will almost certainly come with a pirated Mach3 license and/or cracked copy of Mach3, and the USB controller may not work as well with a valid license and legitimate copy of Mach3.

Buyer beware.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2018, 08:45:30 PM »
Hi,
with a yet closer look at the pictures it shows a parallel plug on the controller and one on the machine which
suggests that it is being used for the motors/switches.

That being the case then Gerry is likely correct ie the controller is a genuine USB device.

I also agree with Gerry that the Chinese made electronics are commonly poor and would recommend replacement
with something like a SmoothStepper. Even with the addition of a new motion control board the price is still
very favourable.

Craig