Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 12:40:58 PM

Author Topic: No DRO readings with Mach 3 and GALIL DMC-1740  (Read 5940 times)

No DRO readings with Mach 3 and GALIL DMC-1740
« on: September 12, 2017, 12:41:47 PM »
For approximately 15 years I used a program called WinGCNC with a Galil DMC-1740 controller. All was good.  Recently my computer crashed and I have been unable to locate my backup copy of the WinGCNC program.  I purchased Mach3 and the Galil plugin.  I can get the program to recognize the Galil card but I have no DRO readouts.  If I energize the servos, the table moves in a negative Y direction until it contacts the limit switch but still with out DRO readings.  This is on a Bridgeport Series I with 3 axis servo motors.  I have tried different config settings without success and am out of ideas.  Has anybody had a similar experience?
Re: No DRO readings with Mach 3 and GALIL DMC-1740
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 04:53:33 PM »
Un-checking the motor option boxes Galil plugin configuration made the encoders read.  Now I need to figure out how to scale them so they are accurate.
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 01:19:41 AM »
i have a 1740 and im running Aries drives and Parker servos. mine works fine, you may need to set up your motor tuning and steps/unit to make the DRO match the movement
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2018, 11:04:59 AM »
If you are still having problems, to get the DROs calibrated just go to the config menu and select motor tuning. At the lower left corner enter in the Steps per box the correct number of encoder counts per inch (or mm if in metric). Also set the maximum velocity you want (this becomes the rapid move velocity), and an acceleration value, and be sure to click SAVE AXIS SETTINGS button or the changes will not be saved. On my machine I use 20000 counts per step, 150 for velocity, and 100 for acceleration, your results may vary. You can also set the duration of step and dir pulses between 1-5 usec if you are using this type input for your motor amplifiers.

Then select the Y Axis button and repeat, then Z axis, etc. It is a good idea to make an actual move and measure the distance with a dial indicator or separate DRO if you have one on the mill. You can fine tune the steps per value as needed.