Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 04:08:36 AM

Author Topic: Z axis travels the wrong way when running a program  (Read 1315 times)

Z axis travels the wrong way when running a program
« on: July 29, 2018, 02:21:40 AM »
I have problem running a program. I recently set up mach4 using a pokey 75 CNC my home and limit switches are one per axis which is all now setup so home reference the machine will set itself back to zero I can also jog in all the directions. My Z axis when it Returns home is in the positive Direction.
The problem is when I come to run a program my Z axis travels up in the positive Direction catches a limit switch and then stops.
With 20 years of programming and using industrial wood CNC cutting on a z axis as always been minus.

Does anyone know how I ca3n get the Z axis to go in the minus Direction when running a program.
Re: Z axis travels the wrong way when running a program
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2018, 03:28:30 AM »
Hi,
this post should be in the main Mach4 Discussion board.

The problem is when I come to run a program my Z axis travels up in the positive Direction

I don't have anything like your experience however in my experience a move in the positive direction is upwards.
I would expect the work co-ordinates to be zeroed at the surface of the material so a positive work coord is above the
material and a negative coord is below the surface, ie cutting. To my knowledge this is also the standard convention for
CAM programs.

You can either reverse the Gcode or reverse the direction of the Z axis.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'