Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 04:03:11 AM

Author Topic: Spindle Encoder Wiring.  (Read 1298 times)

Spindle Encoder Wiring.
« on: July 22, 2018, 01:52:42 PM »
Hi All

Just in the middle or should I say the start of a conversion on my Denford Senior Lathe. I am using all the original Servos and drives as well as the original spindle motor. The VFD has been replaced with a Jaguar VXM. Had loads of help so far from the forum with tuning the servos and pleased with what has been achieved so far.

Moving onto the spindle. The spindle motor is wired up to the VFD with no major issues at the moment and working off a 0 to 10v signal. I am using the CSMIO/P-A controller with the add-on CSMIO/P-CNC for threading and spindle control. The encoder for the spindle has eight wires coming out the same as the X and Z axis but there is no information on the encoder. The wire colours are all the same as the X and Z encoders.

The X and Z encoders give this information.

A+ Brown
A- Yellow O
B+ Red
B- Green
Z+ Purple
Z- Blue Pin
5VDC White
GND Black

As the spindle encoder is the original to the machine the same as the X and Z Encoders. Would it be safe to assume I should wire the encoder with the above connections?

Or is there a way to check the wires from the spindle encoder to ensure correct connections. (With a multimeter)?

Appreciate any feedback.

Mick

Re: Spindle Encoder Wiring.
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018, 04:48:32 PM »
Apologies should be CSMIO/ENC Threading Module from CS Labs.

Cheers
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2018, 06:25:25 PM »
Hi Mick

It would be perverse if the spindle encoder were wired differently from the other 2, as they all share the exact colours and are presumeably the same brand.

I can't think of how you could verify which are 0V and 5V (the only critical lines) unless you are prepared to open the case and look at the circuit board. If the encoder were mine, I'd just conneft as per the other two.

Maybe someone who uses a Denford could chip in, or perhaps Denford's tech support could help if you are nervous.

Allan
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2018, 01:08:43 AM »
Thanks Allan

Yes, think I agree with that. I'm still waiting for a reply from my last post on the Denford forum so I think I may be inclined to just give it a go.

Cheers
Mick