Hello Guest it is April 23, 2024, 03:21:30 AM

Author Topic: Need help with Mach3 and my cnc calibration  (Read 1115 times)

Need help with Mach3 and my cnc calibration
« on: July 15, 2018, 03:04:31 PM »
Hi wondering if I can get some help here. Here is how the problem occurred. I purchased the hardware from "Build your cnc" website back in 2013 and I built my own 2 x 4 cnc machine. Everything was put together with Mach3 and everything was working well with no issues. Last week I went to you my cnc machine. I turned it on and my computer and I heard a pop sound. Found out that my motherboard fried. I had windows xp pro 32bit installed on it. Like I said before this happened everything was working very well. I decided to change my lead screw from an 1/2" allthread ( 13 tpi) to a 1/2" 5 start and 10 TPI ACME precision lead screw. I installed the new leadscrew. Instead of installing windows xp again I decided to install windows 7, since it is compatible with Mach3. The only unfortunate part is that my new computer did not have a parallel port attached to the motherboard. So I went to purchase a PCI parallel port card. I installed the new parallel port card with the updated drivers. I reinstalled the updated version of Mach3. I copied and paste my licence to the root of the Mach3 folder. I was then ready to calibrate my cnc machine. When I tried to test the movement of the x,y, and z axis nothing moved. I then checked each pin of the parallel port to make sure it was get the necessary voltage and it was. does anyone have any ideas? I would hate to reinstall windows xp over again.

Thx
Vince

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
Re: Need help with Mach3 and my cnc calibration
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2018, 10:06:30 PM »
I then checked each pin of the parallel port to make sure it was get the necessary voltage and it was.

How did you test this?

The easiest way is to jog an axis back and forth, and measure the voltage at the direction pin.
It should be 5V in one direction, and 0V in the other direction.

My guess is that your port address is wrong, or the port is not working properly, assuming nothing else has changed.

An alternative to a PCI port would be a UC100 motion controller, which in many cases can be easier than getting a PCI port to work.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html