Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 11:14:45 AM

Author Topic: EXTERNAL ESTOP REQUESTED  (Read 9258 times)

EXTERNAL ESTOP REQUESTED
« on: November 21, 2016, 01:34:08 PM »
I have been using Mach3 on a Shopmaster MillTurn for a few years now.  I have not been having any issues with it....  Today, it throws a message "EXTERNAL ESTOP REQUESTED".

It happens when the machine is sitting with no GCODE running and nothing moving.  I checked the ESTOP switches but when they are depressed, the message is "ESTOP SWITCH PRESSED".  It will happen within 30 seconds of resetting it.  It happens in both mill mode and lathe mode.  I have rebooted everything.  Yesterday when I shut the machine down, the PC "hung" while turning off and I finally had to turn off the power switch.  I looked through the configs, but its been a while since I looked at them and I haven't changed anything.

What can cause this message (since pressing a ESTOP has a different message)?  Any ideas as to what it might be?

Thanks,

Terry

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: EXTERNAL ESTOP REQUESTED
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 04:45:00 AM »
My suspicion would be electrical noise.

Try increasing the Debounce Interval (Config / General Config) to 2000 or so. If this resolves the problem then you need to investigate the actual cause of the noise (Debounce should be regarded as a sticky plaster rather than a cure).

Have you changed anything in the shop – added anything new (equipment, lighting, etc.), rerouted any wiring ?
Are your machine switches (estop, limit, home, etc.) and the associated wiring all sound and in good order ?
Does disconnecting your VFD resolve the problem ?

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 09:29:12 AM »
Thanks for the response Tweakie.

Nothing had changed overnight between uses.  Basically with the machine just sitting there, in less than a minute after reset, it would throw the message.  It did it all day.  In desperation yesterday evening, I did a reset and immediately turned the spindle on.  It ran without the message.  I used it for a few hours last night with no issue and it sat all night without the ESTOP message. 

You must be correct on the noise.....  However, it doesn't seem to be in the ESTOP wiring.  If I activate the ESTOP wiring, the message indicates "ESTOP PRESSED".  The fault I am having is "ESTOP REQUESTED".  Do you have any idea what conditions cause Mach3 to give this message?

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2016, 11:13:31 AM »
Maybe different versions of Mach3 have a different response but my machines report “EStop Button Pressed” if I activate the on-screen Reset button and “External EStop Requested” if I activate the physical EStop button.

Which version of Mach3 are you using ?

Can you attach your .xml file – Copy the one from your Mach3 folder named <your profile>.xml. Rename the copy to terrymccafferty.xml and attach it using the Reply / Additional Options… tabs.

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2016, 12:39:14 PM »
If Tweakie is right that it is noise (and I suspect he is).........
Nothing had changed overnight between uses.
That may not be entirely true. Humidity, temperature, moisture level in the ground, a new fluorescent light, an electric heater in the area. Noise can be a real PITA. A lot like black magic. The best insurance you have against it is to do everything you can to prevent it and some times you may think you will never do enough. Then you move a little wire and BIGO!

Hope you get it sorted soon. 
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2016, 05:06:28 PM »
I agree with Tweakie,
"EXTERNAL ESTOP REQUESTED" is the hard wired estop. If you don't have one connected, check your pin assignments to make sure there is nothing selected for that input.

Mike
We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2018, 01:36:55 PM »
I am useing Mach3 X.X ... that is what it says when it start up. I dont know how to search for a .xml file and copy from there..