Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:52:52 PM

Author Topic: Z Axis Homing setting  (Read 1498 times)

Z Axis Homing setting
« on: May 28, 2018, 08:06:53 PM »
Hello,
My Z goes down when jogging the -z button and it goes up when jogging the +z button. In my homing setting its set to home Neg. direction?? If I change it to positive it homes down towards the table. Should I have any homing setting in the output settings -under homing? Al my setting are set under Homing and soft limits.
Anthony
Re: Z Axis Homing setting
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2018, 09:02:15 PM »
Hi,
the norm is to have the machine co-ordinate zero at the top of the Z travel.
Therefore any machining operation where the spindle moves down (Z-) from its rest
position is at a negative Z co-ordinate. Note this is machine co-ordinates not work co-ords.

The usual procedure is to jog down (Z-) to the surface of the material , zero the Z axis (work co-ordinate).
There after a positive Z DRO means 'above' the material surface and negative Z means 'below' the surface
ie cutting and you need to concentrate.

Craig
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 09:19:21 PM by joeaverage »
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2018, 09:12:35 PM »
Hi,
if you follow that then:
My Z goes down when jogging the -z button and it goes up when jogging the +z button. In my homing setting its set to home Neg. direction??
is perfectly correct.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'

Offline mark4

•  167 167
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2018, 01:56:34 AM »
i have had enough fun with Z on occasion. question the z is moving in the minus direction but which direction is the dro moving. go to the middle and zero then go down are the numbers
counting up negative. then try the same above zero and see if the numbers are counting positive. it sounds like you are backwards.
mark
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2018, 06:59:08 AM »
Al my setting are set under Homing and soft limits.

You should set the INPUTS homing points also.
In my case I have six end switches, normally open to ground and the inputs are pulled up. Z Home  and  Z++ are the same,  X Home and X- - are the same, and Y Home and Y++ are the same.
When homing, the limit function is ignored, after homing the limits are active.  Setting Z Home POS, it homes upward.