Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 03:06:17 PM

Author Topic: Lathe tool offsets, tool table, surfeit of splash screens  (Read 3358 times)

Lathe tool offsets, tool table, surfeit of splash screens
« on: April 04, 2018, 04:37:07 PM »
I may have posted these questions a few minutes ago - the Forum software said I had but there is no sign of the post, so here it is again!

I have a system set up to measure lathe tool offsets using a specific screen to work with my measuring system.  This works well now I've got the (known!) bugs out and I can populate a tool table, and it works properly.  However, when I close down Mach and restart, though it shows the same tool number in the DRO on the Manual screen as it did before closedown, the offset isn't applied!  I have to retype the tool number and return for it to take effect.  Is this normal behaviour please?

I've previously asked here about exporting tool tables from M3 into CAM - now I have the opposite requirement (I never did that by the way for various reasons).  Is there a method to import a tool table formatted as say CSV from a spreadsheet program into Mach?  I use a spreadsheet to record the measurements and do some averaging and it's a pain to have to copy/paste the values into the Mach tool table editor, as well as error prone.

When I start my Mach3 Turn, I randomly get one of 3 different splash screens - is this normal behaviour, a bug, or a sign of misconfiguration?

Help much appreciated on the please!

TIA, John.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Lathe tool offsets, tool table, surfeit of splash screens
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 07:38:55 PM »
John,
Have a look in the Mach Tool Box. I believe you will find what you need to do what you want.

RICH

Offline TPS

•  2,501 2,501
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 01:47:55 AM »
a simple search for "tooltable Import" in the Forum:

http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,27640.0.html
anything is possible, just try to do it.
if you find some mistakes, in my bad bavarian english,they are yours.
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2018, 12:52:04 PM »
TPS, Rich, many thanks for these suggestions, I'll follow them up.  Are the other points I asked about just "features" then?

So, I'm rather pleased that my tool referencing system seems to work quite well.  I can use a setting bar in the spindle which fits direct in the MT4 taper and has a carefully measured diameter spigot at the end, to measure the offsets on all my tools mounted on Dixon holders, having first homed the X axis using a "touch plate" mounted on the apron.  So for the first time this afternoon, I went through the process of switching on, launching Mach, homing X, setting the tool to the end of a bar (using an OEM button script controlling the same referencing system), and taking a small cut on the bar to a target diameter of 15.900 mm.  I've been carefull to measure the test bar diameter to micron indicated precision on my Mitutoyo digital micrometer and record all the offsets etc to 4 decimal places (though I'm not pretending that the system is going to have real micron accuracy).  Anyway, the measured diameter of the test piece after that measured with the Mit was 15.900 mm indicated.  Only one trial of course, but quite gratifying, given the number of things that had to all go right for the system to work.

Now I have found another problem!  Up to now I've always ignored tool offsets and simply referenced the tool to the workpiece, setting the pgm coords in the X and Z DROs to the bar end (zero) and stock diameter.  Most of my turning has used wizards.  Now I'm trying to use the tool offsets and homing the machine, and I find some strange behaviour.  If for example I load some wizard-generated code and run it, first checking the tool position is correct and having selected the tool number manually (as Wizards don't have that facility), when it gets to the M30 at the end of the code and rewinds the offset is cancelled, though the same tool number is still displayed!!  

A bit of experimentation shows that M30 has this effect generally on its own - for example select a tool with a programmed offset, so that the correct pgm coord for say X is displayed, then  typing M30 in the MDI - after a short pause the displayed X position reverts to the "tool 0" coord.

I also find that typing "T<n>" as a code, either in the program or MDI, does not seem to change the tool number.

So at the moment, either it seems I have to make sure to manually select the tool before running the code, and after any M30 or rewind operations.  Is this expected behaviour please?

Offline TPS

•  2,501 2,501
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2018, 02:55:22 AM »
so it Looks like you have no tool change selected in Config -> General Config,
or no code in M6Start macro.

for a Minimum you Need

tool = GetSelectedTool()
 SetCurrentTool( tool )

in M6Start

« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 02:58:14 AM by TPS »
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2018, 04:42:34 AM »
TPS, many thanks, that may well be the problem.  To be clear, in General Config in the panel on "Pgm End or M30or Rewind" all the boxes should be unchecked except "Turn Off Spindle"?  Checking in my M^start it has both the instructions you mention already.

Offline TPS

•  2,501 2,501
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2018, 04:58:19 AM »
i think you do a Manual toolchange ?

than you have in Config -> General Config

panel Tool Change
option -> Stop Spindle Wait for Cycle Start enabled.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2018, 05:09:24 AM »
When I start my Mach3 Turn, I randomly get one of 3 different splash screens - is this normal behaviour, a bug, or a sign of misconfiguration?

So you have 3 different  custom screen sets, but, when in mach3 you can load / select a screen and that screen will be the default used  upon loading Mach the next time. It should not be random. Are you using an initialization file on start up?

It is difficult to relate to a custom screen set since we know nothing about what that screen may have or do with any button or even macros associated with it. What is the difference between the 3 screen sets?

RICH

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2018, 05:24:39 AM »
Now I have found another problem!  Up to now I've always .........etc etc

I think the problem is understanding of both the wizard and also how you set-up for the job.
Are you using switches on you your lathe. Is you tool table offsets based on a master tool?

RICH
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2018, 06:05:09 AM »
Well I've been trying to upload pics of the splash screens but I just give up.  It doesn't seem to affect the system operation.

Rich, I have only one screen set, it's not that which is different between launches.

And the offsets seem to be working fine, as long as the system is applying them.  I will try TPS' suggestions.

Thanks, John.