Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:34:25 AM

Author Topic: A Aixs Brake  (Read 3422 times)

Re: A Aixs Brake
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2019, 12:09:11 PM »
Any luck in getting mc.mcAxisIsStill working?  I am having the same problem that when running gcode it returns positive no matter what the axis is doing.
Thanks,
David
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2019, 12:32:01 PM »
I haven't tested this any further, maybe Brett or Steve can chime in on this one.
I found out how to get Fusion to post an M Command to engage and disengage the A Axis Brake for 3+1 or simultaneous 4th axis machining, so I don't need the mc.mcAxisIsStill right now.

I read the thread you just started,
It was suggested in this thread that you may be able to get an output from the drive to use.  I was able to get an output off the drives I was using; but then I ran into the delay time needed to release the brake completely, so I was unable to use it effectively.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 12:34:44 PM by Cbyrdtopper »
Chad Byrd
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2019, 05:56:28 PM »
Hey thanks for the reply,
I actually need something from Mach4 to initialize a check on the motor.  Essentially I am trying to create an extra level of safety in the case of a wire fault or any other reason signals might not get to the motors. I am using clearpath motors, which will know if they are out of position, but if a signal fails to reach them, they won't know they missed anything. 
I had a strange incident when Mach4 stopped sending step and direction signals intermittently when jogging.  The whole program was behaving erratically and was fine after a restart, but it was enough to make me want to create a way for the clearpath motor to verify that it is moving when Mach thinks it is.
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2019, 06:24:26 PM »
It sounds like you want communication from the drive to Mach.   You will need some sort of output from the motor drive to do that
Chad Byrd
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2019, 08:12:51 PM »
Yeah, that's no problem for the Clearpath motors.  They have a pretty wide range of output options to choose from including one that is high whenever it is moving.  I just need mach4 to know when to look for it, and to trigger an estop if it doesn't see it.  That's why I was thinking mc.mcAxisIsStill would be perfect.  I could just put something into the plc script that says that every time the axis is moving, if a particular input is low then perform an estop.
Not sure if that is all correct, but it might be a moot point if I can't find a way to query if an axis is moving or not.

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2019, 11:32:30 AM »
If you want to know if an axis is moving or not get its velocity.

velocity, rc = mc.mcAxisGetVel(
   number mInst,
   number axisId)

Description:
Get the velocity of an axis in user units per min.
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2019, 02:39:10 PM »
Ha! I should have thought of that!
Works Perfectly.  Thank you so much!!!!

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2019, 06:39:28 PM »
 :)

No problem, glad it helped.
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!