Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 11:49:45 AM

Author Topic: Anyone use mach4 recently; version 2?  (Read 1274 times)

Anyone use mach4 recently; version 2?
« on: January 29, 2019, 04:30:30 AM »
I need to finally decide on my control software. I don't really want to pay for Mach3 and learn it since it's basically discontinued at this point and I'd rather just learn Mach4 to begin with. I know there's been a lot of complaints with it but most I've come across are from 2015 or earlier.

Re: Anyone use mach4 recently; version 2?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2019, 04:43:45 AM »
Hi,
I've been using Mach4Hobby for 2,5 years and am of the opinion that it is light years ahead of Mach3.

I am picking that most complaints come from people who think Mach should behave 'their way' and if it doesn't
they complain bitterly. I'd further add that they also lack the imagination/inclination/capacity to understand Mach4.
Not likely to be a popular opinion but there it is.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2019, 08:26:11 AM »
We've been using Mach4 on multiple machines (9 working on #10) for almost two years.  Like Craig mentioned, it is MUCH much better than Mach3.
Chad Byrd

Offline thosj

•  532 532
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2019, 09:11:21 AM »
What they said!! I was reluctant to move from Mach3 to Mach4 and when stuff didn't work like I expected I thought it was screwed up, but I finally just made the switch and am very happy I did. It runs the machine WAY better, hit Feed Hold and it stops right now, for example, and it's very customizable but you have to figure out how because it ain't Mach3!! If you come from Mach3, that's the biggest hurdle, Mach4 isn't Mach3.
--
Tom
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2019, 09:50:06 AM »
I need to finally decide on my control software. I don't really want to pay for Mach3 and learn it since it's basically discontinued at this point and I'd rather just learn Mach4 to begin with. I know there's been a lot of complaints with it but most I've come across are from 2015 or earlier.

Thank you so much
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 11:37:09 AM by Chaoticone »
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2019, 01:02:09 PM »
I had no experience with Mach3 or any CNC software...but as a complete newbie to CNC, I was able to get Mach4 hobby up and running/moving my gantry  in about 2-3 hours. Hardest part was setting the limits and figuring out my computer needed a better graphics card to see the tool path. Fast forward a year and I'm engraving and running simple CamBam shapes so knowing no better, I'm quite happy...