Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 11:20:02 PM

Author Topic: Reversing motor direction with Mach 4 and smooth stepper  (Read 3282 times)

Reversing motor direction with Mach 4 and smooth stepper
« on: March 20, 2018, 12:39:41 PM »
I am converting a AXYZ millennium from the OEM system to Mach 4 using a smooth stepper. I have the axis configured and motors tuned. This part appears to be running well, except that the motors travel in reverse direction.

The drivers are 3 wire setups, enable, step and direction. There is a checkbox on the motor tuning screen labeled Reverse, but I don't know what it's for as checking this box does not seem to do anything. I looked all over but did not find anything for changing the direction, is this possible in Mach? IF not how do I do it?

I am using an Ethernet smooth stepper with a smooth stepper terminal board, Win 10 PC.
Re: Reversing motor direction with Mach 4 and smooth stepper
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 01:58:04 PM »
Hi,
there are a number of places where you could cause the axes to reverse direction.

It all too easy to go and change it in one place which cause it to move in one direction and then change it somewhere else and cancel it. Can cause a lot of confusion.

If using an ESS the the recommended place to make direction change is the Active High/Active Low setting on the ESS Pins Config page.
You'll need to reverse the dir pin only of each axis you wish to reverse.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
Re: Reversing motor direction with Mach 4 and smooth stepper
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 09:04:14 AM »
Thanks, I did change the Active high to low in the ESS and this fixed the issue!