Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 05:23:59 PM

Author Topic: 540 error light  (Read 1486 times)

540 error light
« on: March 05, 2018, 11:00:48 AM »
i believe my trusted 540 has given up the ghost after 5+ years. used the machine yesterday, no issues. shut down last night, and powered up this morning. cannot get out of fault.

diagnostics show emergency. 540 has emergency led lit constantly. shut everything down, mach3 off, and as soon as I apply power to the controller, the 540 emergency light comes on.

checked all connectors, switches, all looks normal.... disconnected all motor cables, light stays on......

ideas welcomed, but this looks like an aw$hit  :'( day....

thanks, henri
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 11:09:31 AM by hmonnier »
Re: 540 error light
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2018, 03:55:54 PM »
Hi,
I was reading the 540 manual the other day and it suggested that a motor fault could cause a continuing 540 Error light.
May I suggest unplugging all the motors and try again. It might be a motor rather than the 540.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'

Offline dude1

•  1,253 1,253
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2018, 03:25:28 AM »
Checking your wiring and switch with a set of testers, I have had that from a bad wire joint, the G540 should last many many years one of the first ones ever made is still working and being used
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2018, 08:56:09 AM »
After chatting with the gecko folks, it finally was suggested that I send the unit in, since the error light comes on the moment power is applied with no cable present. I believe the error was caused since I had added a cable extender (purchased, I did not make it) on my 4th axis. I have since removed that cable, went back to the original cabling.

While waiting for the controller return, I plan to ohm out all the motor wires, checking the resistors, winding continuity, and looking for shorts. I'm presuming if all 4 axies read the same on all connections, then there is not a motor failure, but a cockpit error with the new cable somehow.....

If anyone has any additional checks, please let me have'em.....
Thanks...... Henri