Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 11:36:15 AM

Author Topic: Switching from Mach3 to Mach4  (Read 17599 times)

Re: Switching from Mach3 to Mach4
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2018, 07:14:44 AM »
+1 on don't buy rubbish. Saving $50 buys you a whole lot of trouble!!!!

Mike
We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2018, 10:34:39 PM »
ill say this I have mach 4  with a plasma screen from vitalsystem  controller  the controller is fine it works grate  but mach 4 is 1 big pain in my ass setting it up no information  after a month goffing around I finaly got it to work
for one thers no post processor for mach 4  you have to use mach 3 one   I wanted to add an engraver you need to be a rocket scientist programmer to make it work 
I don't think it user friendly  just to add a button you need to be a wiz   I sigest you play with it before buying it 
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2018, 01:09:46 AM »
Hi,
a post processor is part of the software suite that makes up a CAM program. NFS do not provide post processors for other companies CAM programs
and never have.

In order for NFS to survive they have made software which is sufficiently flexible and robust so that OEM's can use it for their products. OEMs are prepared
to invest the time and energy to transform the basic Mach4 package into a tailored commercial product. If you wish to transform Mach4 into a flexilbe and
capable solution for your plasma/engraver you too will have to invest the time and energy just as OEMs do, and yes, you will have to be good at it, 'whizz'
might be a bit over the top.

Craig

'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2018, 01:27:27 AM »
then why not sell it as an oem package only so the rest of us don't have to deal with things we don't understand be cause of lack of information  not every one is a programmer
and most oem are now going Linux some of the fast mills out there are now Linux 
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2018, 01:39:47 AM »
Hi,
it is sold as an OEM package and is doing very well, it would appear that many OEMs prefer it to LinuxCNC.   If you want to get in on the action you can in the
form of Mach4Hobby.

If you don't like programming or refuse to do it then Mach4 is not for you. If on the other hand you are prepared to learn Lua etc then you can have a really professional
and extremely capable system, your choice.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2018, 02:03:49 AM »
the  only oem i see out there doing mach 4 stuff is mach motion  every one i know wants to use ther plasma table not sit there spending milions of hrs programing or learing old  lua  
when time can be better spent  learning cad cam  look what happened to command cnc what mach did to him  he now has Linux  look at haas  tormax Linux  i don't know were your getting your info from
im not hear to put down mach 4. im just saying things should be made easyer to use  not have to learn lua code  the problem is programers are building this not users
i spent mu hole life working large state wide wan networks for communications equipment have no desire to learn programing that's what programmers do they think in bitts and bites
my problem it should not take me weeks to try an make en engraver work off my torch like i said more weeks to set things up  i could build 100 windows computers and set them up faster

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2018, 08:06:16 PM »
I’m happy to report my vital system hilcon controller and arch pro plasma screen can now change tools. With the m6 command thanks to Cbyrdtopper who did the code I will say I learned a lot
Of how things work in Mach 4    now when activating a code in sheet cam my x y z now responds to the tool offset triggers an output and has a button for over ride
And works fine   now I have the ability to have 99 tools don’t need that many in plasma lol  
I will add it took a lot of time and help  I don't give up easy   I am happy with mach 4 I do like windows I like the fact hardware for windows is well supported un like Linux
people see I have a Mach 4 plasma setup running  the first thing I get  o that's gona be slow it has problems  so far I have had nun with Mach 4 except the setup pains of not knowing where to look
for information  not many setup videos they are better the books sometimes we just don't understand the book but when we see it done it becomes easier and faster
Many cnc builds go UN finished because they just can’t make it work.   don't give up and believe me I wanted to use the whole thing for target practice
Now I’m thinking of my next project a mill up grade running mach4   I never used Mach 3 so don’t know the problems or even how to use it  I figured the future is Mach 4 why go back
I will ask is there a plasma cut file that a Linux machine can’t run right  and Mach 4 can  this would make the non-mach believers  stop bashing the program some believe Mach 4 is just not good  that’s not a fair statement  I really don’t see how micro seconds and real time in a computer can effect cnc operation
Because windows does not run in real time never did. maybe someone can explain I never get an answer
You can only cut so fast weather it a mill or lathe why we need speed
All I can say is my Mach 4 has been good playing with it for the last year its fine
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2018, 06:31:22 AM »
How is Mach 4?

Can it do everything Mach 3 could?

Is Mach 4 complete?

Is Mach 4 stable?

Thanks

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2018, 07:36:17 AM »
How is Mach 4?

Can it do everything Mach 3 could?

Is Mach 4 complete?

Is Mach 4 stable?

Thanks

I think your post is what they call "a loaded dice"  :)

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2018, 10:09:21 AM »
I like mach 4 I got it to do every thing I need to do.  my plasma table does a tool change to run en engraver.  I have v2 mach 4 loaded with a hilcon controller.
I would suggest you use a newer computer then an xp machine.   run windows 7 pro or windows 10  and make sure your controller supports mach 4 with its firmware.
there are others I talked to running mills and doing retro fits. they run fine 
nothing is perfect you can make things work if you try.