Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:55:30 AM

Author Topic: Variable plastic extrusion rate on A axis?  (Read 1135 times)

Variable plastic extrusion rate on A axis?
« on: January 26, 2018, 11:39:12 PM »
I'm toying with the idea of attaching a 3d printer extruder to my CNC router.  I have a smaller 3d printer currently that has a feature to adjust the extrusion of the plastic by a scale factor.  What would  be the best method for implementing this in Mach4.  I've looked at the Axis Scaling Gcode for use on the A axis.  Can this be adjusted on the fly by using a slider like the rapid rate override?

Regards
Re: Variable plastic extrusion rate on A axis?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 01:34:13 AM »
Hi,
yes you can do that, it requires an 'out of band axis'. Mach4Hobby allows only one out of band axis and its always a spindle.

You can assign your A axis as 'spindle' and then you can control it at will mean while the rest of your axes are executing coordinate Gcode.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
Re: Variable plastic extrusion rate on A axis?
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 09:30:35 AM »
Hi,

I would recommend, leaving the motion control as is and adjust the extrusion in the slicer (cam). Usually you have a reason, why u would like to apply a factor to extrusion. Slic3r and cura support extrusion factors on various conditions. Other slicers may have similar options. There are options related to filament (selected material) as well as model dependant options.
Enable expert settings and just dive into the options. For cura you first have to enable visibility of expert options in the settings.

Reinhard